Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying with Monarch?

Florida Junior

Flying with Monarch?

Has anyone here even flown standard class with Monarch airways to Florida?

We are possibly looking to holiday in Florida in late August and have been checking flights recently. We are limited with Airlines if we want to fly direct from Newcastle and it's normally quite expensive but have come across what looks to be a really good deal with Monarch.

Flights are roughly £440 per person return flying on 28th August but its standard class only - I know that there is less baggae allowance but wondered whether anyone knew whether there was a lot of difference in cabin space or anything else. Premium class flights are approx £200 pp more expensive.

Any replies appeciated.

Dave

Someone has just posted this on another forum - hope it helps

I had to share our flight experience with you all.
    The operator was Monarch, haven't flown with them in decades, Spain & Tenerife, not good experiences so was not expecting much for this trip.
    We checked in & asked about paying for an upgrade, we had to see flight attendants on board, we were told. So we boarded, asked & were told as soon as the manifest is on we can. Whilst waiting we took our seats, row 43 near the back (2 x 3 x 2 configuration) we were in the centre. Everyone boarded & no-one was making their way to the seat next to us. Checked with crew & they confirmed it was spare. So I cancelled the upgrade, these seats had masses of leg room & were exceedingly comfortable. They were a bit narrow, but the empty seat took care of that for my big frame. We have travelled too many times to count to the states, 1st Class, Business Class, Upper Class, Premium Class & baggage Class. With the exception of 1st & Upper none of them came anywhere as comfortable as these seats. No numb bum, no aching legs. It was super. The "breakfast" - some yoghurt & muesli mixture & a mini muffin was a pass. But the "Lunch" was as good as anything I have had on a plane. The service was very good too although there seemed to be a requisite for being either Spanish or gay, all very pleasant & entertaining. So out of 10, 9 - took one away for the breakfast.
    On landing at Sanford at 13:45, being almost at the back of the plane we were close to being the last ones into the immigration hall, it took 40 mins to process us & was driving away in the Dollar rental by 15:00.

So all in all a very good experience!
    Last edited by Philomena; 23-04-2012 at 22:07.

We've used Monarch quite often ( we just use whoever's cheapest !!! ).
    Quite frankly, no better or worse than any of the other charter airlines & if you're saving a few £100 by flying with them.....

We have flown with Monarch a couple of times in Premium cabin and was superb, Economy does not have seat back TV's only a overhead TV

Regards, Mark.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msmiff View Post
    We've used Monarch quite often ( we just use whoever's cheapest !!! ).
    Quite frankly, no better or worse than any of the other charter airlines & if you're saving a few £100 by flying with them.....
    There's really almost no difference between the charter and scheduled airlines these days. Apart from possibly greater flexibility on dates and length of stay, I'd honestly say that for economy flying the charters probably have the edge now.

I have to agree, over the years we have found flying Charter into Sanford a far better experience than using the scheduled flights into MCO.
    Graham

Thanks Philomena for finding that positive comment from elsewhere, it has cheered me up too. We're flying Monarch for the first time (at a heck of a lot more than £440 though, sadly) for the forthcoming May/June school hols. Can't wait.
    Dave.

Florida Junior
    Thanks very much everyone for the replies - allayed any previous fears I had about using Monarch. The price is bizzare... it's only that cheap when flying out on 28th August - which I guess is because it's the last week of the school hols? As it turns out our circumstances have changed and we may end up having to fly a little ealier.

Checked both Monarch & Thompsons and the prices are comparable but about £150 pp more expensive than going 5 days later...

Dads Taxi - interested to hear what you thought of Monarch after you go in May

Florida Expert
    I find very little difference between the charters and scheduled and charter flights and indeed the food on carters is a bit better.

Virgin and BA have a better entertainemnet service but you can upgrade on most (all) charter flights for around a tenner.

Quote Originally Posted by davealsop View Post

Dads Taxi - interested to hear what you thought of Monarch after you go in May
    Don't worry, I get a bit carried away in my Trip Reports, it will all be documented!

Our Monarch flights, to fit completely within the school hols, ended up at £735 per person. I booked 11 of them! I booked them last July, and I checked availability last night and there were still seats available (now at £720-ish) so either the plane isn't full or they just keep selling seats!
    Dave.