Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virgin VS28 emergency landing at Gatwick

Deploying shutes is standard practice with any suspected fire or smoke on a plane, no matter how little. They would not risk hanging around for a docking station or steps.

Talked to my daughter in Gatwick this morning. It would seem from what she saw that most of the injurys were caused by people going off the end of the chute and then sliding across the runway. There were also a couple of cases of people hitting others at the bottom.

When you see the emergency video I always thought that they showed a crew member helping people off so this did not happen but maybe this is not the case now.

Virgin seem to be giving out letters to everyone that tells them they can have a free return flight on any Virgin route except Austraila in the next 18 months.

At least they seem to be trying to keep everyone happy.

Dave
    Dave Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    Talked to my daughter in Gatwick this morning. It would seem from what she saw that most of the injurys were caused by people going off the end of the chute and then sliding across the runway. There were also a couple of cases of people hitting others at the bottom.

When you see the emergency video I always thought that they showed a crew member helping people off so this did not happen but maybe this is not the case now.

Virgin seem to be giving out letters to everyone that tells them they can have a free return flight on any Virgin route except Austraila in the next 18 months.

At least they seem to be trying to keep everyone happy.

Dave
    They have to be able to get everyone off in 90 seconds and it is quite common to have a few bumps and broken bones when the slides are used. It's not a nice experience but it sounds like the crew did a good job.
    Shirley

A few broken bones are probably neither here nor there compared to being trapped in a burning plane. On the chutes, I had also thought a crew member would have gone out first, but I suppose they are better at the top of the chute chucking people out of the door rather than catching them at the bottom. It probably wouldn't look too good for crew members to leap out first and then leg it at the bottom, leaving the passengers behind to sort themselves out. It would be interesting to know the approved procedure.

What a nightmare to go through.
    Tonish

So am I the only one that's wanted to have a shot on one of the chutes?

I'll just be leaving now, I mean, everyone got off safely, no harm done, come on Captain, just one more shot on the chute before it's time for bed ... pleeeeeaaaaaase.
    Euan

Gold 5 Star Member
    I'd be glad it wasn't a 747. The shute drop from the upper deck looks a long way and almost vertical. You'd be almost guaranteed to have a very hard landing.

Looks like it went as well as could be expected which is a credit to all concerned.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP View Post
    So am I the only one that's wanted to have a shot on one of the chutes?

I'll just be leaving now, I mean, everyone got off safely, no harm done, come on Captain, just one more shot on the chute before it's time for bed ... pleeeeeaaaaaase.
    I wouldn't mind as long as I'm not after the man who won't take off his spurs See I do watch the safety video but having watched Quincy once when he did a simulation to work out how many people would actually be able to find and get on life vests in a real emergency, hope I never have to follow it. It must be a very frighteniing experience when it's for real.
    Babblin Boo

I agree and while my comment was tongue in cheek, I wouldn't be nearly so flippant if the outcome had been otherwise.
    Euan

Florida Chatterbox
    Makes me feel quesy just thinking about it, as I know I'd be one of the ones with broken bones. Without help I'd be unable to get up before the next person arrives at the bottom.

DaveL - Were the passengers given back their luggage to take to hotel? Just wondering whether to start packing "emergency essentials" in hand luggage.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bargainqueen View Post
    Makes me feel quesy just thinking about it, as I know I'd be one of the ones with broken bones. Without help I'd be unable to get up before the next person arrives at the bottom.

DaveL - Were the passengers given back their luggage to take to hotel? Just wondering whether to start packing "emergency essentials" in hand luggage.
    You'd be leaving your hand baggage behind anyway in these circumstances.