Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest convertible

Biggest convertible

Planning on doing Route 66 next year with a few friends. As only two of us are bikers, we're looking to hire a big convertible instead. There's no way the four of us will fit comfortably into something like a mustang. We really could do with something more like a full size car version, or even better, a 1970's size. Are there any real options for this, or is it just wishful thinking on my part?
    Tonish

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    I think it is wishfull thinking, but wouldn't it be great to do Route 66 in a 70s convertable, sounds just perfect (as long as it didn't keep breaking down and of course those were real gas guzzlers)
    Lyn

You are right there Lyn, I think it was GPM in those days rather than MPG.
    Graham

I doubt you will get anything much bigger than a sebring type convertible from the regular agencies. If you doing route 66 , i highly revommend foing it properly and not what most folks do, drive the 40 and dive off at certan points. Around 1900 miles of the otiginal route is still drivable. This web site is a very good source of info http://www.historic66.com/

Gold 5 Star Member
    Tonish - I know this isn't Route 66 specific, but I read quite a good book a while back that's along similar lines. Hang on a mo and I'll find it ... here it is: America Unchained Highly recommended.
    Steve

Thanks Martin and Steve. I've just bought the book on kindle and checked out the website. It actually looks more difficult than I thought - everything I've been looking at says it's really hard to stay on the old route itself. Pity, but we'll try hard to make it authentic. Lots of planning to do, but two of our group are in semi-retirement and will have the time to research properly. If anyone else has done it, I'd quite like to hear any little tips.
    Tonish

America Unchained (along with Dave Gorman's other books) is an excellent read. I can't remember which TV channel it was, but there was a TV road-trip/documentary of it a while back as well. You may be able to find out about it on Dave Gorman's own website.
    Euan

Florida Chatterbox
    I watched the TV documentary, might have to buy the book as well. Excellant idea, really brings it home to you how things have changed when you see how far out of his way he had to travel of find a Mom & Pop business.

Tonish, Have a Google at: 'Classic Car Hire World' who do rent 'proper' cars....
    They mention Route66 specifically but wouldn't hire for the whole length !!

Quote Originally Posted by bargainqueen View Post
    I watched the TV documentary, might have to buy the book as well. Excellant idea, really brings it home to you how things have changed when you see how far out of his way he had to travel of find a Mom & Pop business.
    Do read the book, there is so much more detail in it.
    Euan