Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Driving to Fort Myers from Kissimmee/Davenport area

Driving to Fort Myers from Kissimmee/Davenport area

Which is the best route for this? We've always used the 75, which I know is the long way round, but we assumed it would be quicker than the alternatives, which are the 17 or the 27. Has anyone any experience of these? We've got some friends coming to visit us in the summer and I want to direct them to the quickest route.
    Tonish

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have taken 17 to Orlando from Rotonda West picking the road up in Arcadia.

Whilst on paper it looks shorter you are subject to speed restrictions plus traffic lights and stop signs.

It is an interesting route in parts but does go through some pretty dire areas too.

We came home via I75 as it was dark.

I would recommend stopping in Punta Gorda for lunch at Fisherman's Village and taking 41 onto Fort Myers.

I am sure others will be along with their thoughts.

Lynne

Administrator
    We tend to go there via the 17/92 then come back on the 75/I4 (just to get a bit of variation).

Although the 17/92 route is shorter, as Lynne says there are more speed restrictions and lights, but I find it less tedious than the 75/I4 route. Time wise I'd say not much different.

Thanks for these, it's as I suspected then - shorter distance but slower journey if you're not using the 75. Useful info.
    Tonish

Florida Chatterbox
    We are in Fort Myers at the moment and the 41 is a nightmare - some really bad driving and light after light. 75 may be boring but there are plenty of places to stop off - outlets and rest stops... We drove up to Boca Grande (Gasparilla) today on 75 and it only took us just over an hour on the way home.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cook22uk View Post
    We are in Fort Myers at the moment and the 41 is a nightmare - some really bad driving and light after light. 75 may be boring but there are plenty of places to stop off - outlets and rest stops... We drove up to Boca Grande (Gasparilla) today on 75 and it only took us just over an hour on the way home.
    41 will be busy at present as high season still, in the summer though less busy until you get to the main drag after the Mall, we do the journey from Rotonda West in just under the hour.

Did you like Gasparilla Island and did you go to the lighthouse at the far end, there are often Dolphins swimming in the sound there.
    I love Boca it is so clean fresh and peaceful.

Lynne