Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Wheelchair Accessible villa with a hoist

Florida Newbie

Wheelchair Accessible villa with a hoist

I am a 26 year old man who has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and therefore I am a full time wheelchair user. My parents and I have been to Florida 4 times and we love it over there, but we haven't been since 2004. We are looking at coming over in late August/early September this year because the flights are much cheaper then and the weather will still be very warm without being overwhelmingly hot.

I want to find out if there are any wheelchair accessible villas which already have a hoist on premises, either a portable hoist or a ceiling hoist? I know of one villa which has a ceiling hoist as well as an electric profiling bed and other equipment, but it is far too big for just the 3 of us and it costs much more than the other villas I have seen. The last twice we went to Florida we used a villa owned by someone called Paul Flowers who kept a portable hoist permenantly at his villa, but he doesnt seem to do villas anymore because when we tried to phone his number now it just rings out. But this time I cant find any villas with a hoist on premises, so we would need to rent one from somewhere. But my parents are worried in case it doesnt get delivered on time and I am stuck in my wheelchair. Has anyone had any bad experiences with renting a hoist or other equipment in Florida? Although one villa owner I have contacted has offered to buy a hoist if I was coming to stay, which I am surprised about because I would imagine it would cost them a lot of money to buy a hoist just for one person to make use of. But of course I would be very grateful to them if they were able to do this for me. But the best option for us would be if we could stay at a villa which already has a hoist on site.

Any help and advice anyone can offer would be much appreciated!

Robert

Hi Robert, have you tried doing a search stating that a hoist is a specific requirement?

You should then only get responses from villa owners who have such a facility.

Here's the websites:

http://www.orlandovillas.com/
    and
    http://www.orlandovillarentals.com/
    Euan