Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alcohol on plane?

Florida Newbie

alcohol on plane?

hi everyone,

my partner and I are planning a trip for September next year and are going with Virgin on premium economy, there are complimentary alcoholic drinks on the flight and we have been trying to find out if I would be okay to drink on the flight there (I will be 20) because of the over 21 law in the US. Does anyone know about this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance!

Katie

Your not subject to U.S. drinking rules till you enter U.S. air space and everything will be closed down by then. Virgin are a UK company so I would guess that you should have no problem.

Dave
    Dave Lewis

Florida Newbie
    thats great! thanks so much

As long as you are 18 Katie they will serve you alcohol on your flight, and as far as I am aware this will have no bearing on the legal age in Florida as long as you do not arrive at immigration worse for wear! And of course you will not attempt to drive once you get to Florida if you have indulged too much on the flight will you??

Florida Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Philomena View Post
    As long as you are 18 Katie they will serve you alcohol on your flight, and as far as I am aware this will have no bearing on the legal age in Florida as long as you do not arrive at immigration worse for wear! And of course you will not attempt to drive once you get to Florida if you have indulged too much on the flight will you??
    no risk of that as i don't drive and i only want to have the odd glass of wine with my meal, i'm not too much of a drinker anyway

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    Your not subject to U.S. drinking rules till you enter U.S. air space and everything will be closed down by then. Virgin are a UK company so I would guess that you should have no problem.

Dave
    I've never heard that before Dave - I know there are international agreements for serious crime (Locerbie is an example) but is there a specific provision covering alcohol consumption?

Even flying to Florida it's not unusual for a flight to be in US airspace for several hours in both directions and to the West Coast for even longer. I've never once been made aware of any airspace related restrictions on alcohol consumption on the many transatlantic flights I've done to all sorts of US destinations.

My understanding is that the 'rules' are those applied by the carrier and tend to follow their own national laws. Hence several Middle Eastern carriers don't serve alcohol at all irrespective of whose airspace they are in. Similarly, other airlines flying over 'dry' country airspace don't make any special provision for that period of the flight.

The way I understand it KG your correct it that the airlines all apply there own rules.

It's more a question of who would have jurisdiction if a 'crime' was committed. If your in the middle of the Atlantic then it would be the registry of the plane. However if your over a country and landing there then their rules apply.

As this lady was travelling with Virgin then most of their flight plans do not enter U.S. airspace until quite late in the journey.

Regards Dave
    Dave Lewis

Florida Savvy
    Quote"no risk of that as i don't drive and i only want to have the odd glass of wine with my meal, i'm not too much of a drinker anyway "

if the wine was as bad as it was the other week on the Virgin flight i wouldnt bother lol

If you want a 100% clarification - why not speak direct to a Virgin rep.

Val

I would speak to Virgin, but sure they would advise you once on the Plane