Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Air, Manchester to Tampa, change in Philly

Florida Chatterbox

US Air, Manchester to Tampa, change in Philly

Hi All, I have just booked flights as in the title. Not my usual route to Florida in fact US Air, Philly & Tampa are all new to us. Has anyone got any experiences, tips or advice.

Also not booked villa yet so any suggestions on areas would be welcome, Not keen on going south from Tampa as I have covered that area pretty well over the years. Was thinking about the Tampa area itself or Newport Ritchie/Hudson area.

All comments would be appreciated

Super Moderator
    We prefer Tampa airport to Orlando - it seems to be more family friendly and is easy to negotiate and most car hire companies are on airport. It is easy to get from the airport to all major tourist areas.

Florida Expert
    Kirkintilloch, Scotland and Indian Creek, Kissimmee
    We've done that route a couple of times - and absolutely fine! The first time we just made it back out of Tampa before Hurricane Jeanne hit!! But nowadays I think most of the US flights are all much the same - you get what you pay for. Must say I am such a fan of Aer Lingus - can't see past them now - because you do the pre-clearance at Dublin of US Immigration - which can save you anything up to 1 1/2 hours + wait at Immigration at MCO - although my memory of Tampa was that they were a lot quicker!
    Jean

We used to own in Clearwater and then New Port Richey. You may find short term rental villas very hard to come by as there are hardly any communities that are STR. They do have LTR communities (long term rental) from 6 months upwards.

We did manage to rent a private villa before we bought anywhere in Florida, which was North of New Port Richey in Spring Hill. That was about 19 years ago!!! There may be few more now.

Good luck.
    Last edited by SDJ; 24-02-2012 at 00:20.

Gold 5 Star Member
    As you'll clear immigration in PHL the merits of MCO & TPA on that issue are irrelevant although at TPA you aren't competing with as many international passengers at the car rental desks.

There really isn't that much difference between any of the major transatlantic airlines economy products and US Airways fall into that category so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Florida Expert
    We did that trip 2 years ago albeit from Birmingham and would do it again anyday with US Airways (from Birmingham - live 20 minutes from airport). Plane was bit more basic than Virgin/BA but staff were very polite and service was excellent.

For us the return journey was a delight - 20 minutes from home instead of 2.5 hours to Gatwick or 2 hours from manchester.
    Steve

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    As you'll clear immigration in PHL the merits of MCO & TPA on that issue are irrelevant although at TPA you aren't competing with as many international passengers at the car rental desks.

There really isn't that much difference between any of the major transatlantic airlines economy products and US Airways fall into that category so I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Has anyone got any experience of immigration at PHL. We have a connection time of 4 hours so I am sure we will be ok but I rejected a flight with a 2 hour connection as my daughter is always taken in to a side room to discuss an issue with her fingerprints that got mixed up with her mothers some years ago in Vegas. The wife used to have the same problem until she had a new passport so my Daughter will have to put up with it for another year.

We've used this route (although to Orlando or Fort Myers rather than Tampa) quite a few times and it's definitely our favourite. The outward leg is relatively short which is one of the main reasons we like it. We have no complaints about US Airways and the entertainment system in economy is better than Virgin's. We have found immigration in PHL generally good, not too long a wait (apart from one occasion) and 4 hrs is way more than enough. The immigration officers seem friendlier than MCO. As far as airports go in PHL is not too bad at all. We usually have a meal there on the way back in an Irish type sports bar, which passes the connection time handily and means we don't eat the airline food for the final leg.
    Tonish

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    We have also been through Philly on a number of occasions. Never had a problem and as Tonish say's they appear more friendly.

We usually have the 2 hour connection and (so far) no problems. On our last trip this christmas the flight from Manchester was delayed but we still made the gate with 30min to spare.
    Every flight down to MCO we have only had to go to the first row of gates for the connecting flight. 10/15 min walk after clearing security.[msnwink]

We still had time to grab a snack & drink before boarding.
    mike

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks for all the reply's, keep em coming