Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: traffic signals

Florida Expert

traffic signals

I have been told that if you come to a junction and there is a left, right and straight ahead, if the green light for straight on is shown that you can turn left as long as it is clear?????? I thought that you had to wait for the arrow for the left turn?
    The junction in questions is coming up Old Lake Wilson and the left turn is on to Champions Gate.
    The rules say" Green - Go - but only if the intersection is clear. Yield to pedestrians and vehicles still in the intersection. If turning left, wait for gap in oncoming traffic to complete turn."

However the section on the green arrow says"A green arrow, pointing right or left, means you may make a turn in the direction of the arrow. If the red light is burning at the same time, you must be in the proper lane for such a turn, and you must yield the right-of-way to vehicles and pedestrians within the intersection".

Now I am sure someone could give me there thoughts on this.

Sounds like the same rule as the 'right turn on red', which makes sense. However I have never come across the situation.

Florida Expert
    In Punta Gorda, which is a town largely made up of one-way roads on the grid system, there is a set of traffic lights where you can only go left or straight on and at red lights many times I have seen cars turn left although there is no signal indicating they can do so. Up to now I have resisted doing it but it does seem the norm.
    Clare R

Florida Expert
    I know, I have always waited for the arrow but a couple of times this holiday i have seen people pull out and go round people waiting, and yesterday I was at the front and a guy from down the back of the line pulled out and went round after tooting his horn!!

Florida Expert
    Update, just spoken to a lady that lives near and she says that if the green signal is there you r good to go as long as its safe to do so.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I think (and the emphasis is on the word think here) that if the FDOT don't want you turning left on a general green light they will have a specific left turn arrow that will stay red, even when the main light goes green.

I'm trying to think what happens when you head South on 27 and then make that left turn onto CR 54. Those lights hold you for the left turn; and for very good reason!
    Steve

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    Unless specifically signed against, yes, you can turn left on green without the filter arrow actually showing the green arrow but only if the straight on light is on green and it is safe to do so. I do it every day on my way to work as I cut through Champion's Gate and go left by the Omni and use the backroads.

Steve, the turning onto the 54 from 27, and all all turnings from that junction are very tightly controlled now, all by lights, no thinking for yourself there anymore, but with half the morons out there that is a wise choice.
    Last edited by Cruella DeVilla; 18-02-2012 at 17:53.
    CDV