Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toilet talk

Florida Savvy

Toilet talk

It is most annoying that the US tern “rest room” is now to be seen in British-owned hotels in the UK. Why can Americans not say the word “toilet”.

The most ridiculous example was when an Orlando newscaster last month referred to turtles “going to the bathroom” on Daytona Beach.

I think it's much more civilised to announce at dinner you're paying a visit to the restroom than the 'toilet'. We're not do big on politeness here, that apparent from the second you land in the country.
    Tink

Why is it annoying? 'powder room' is used frequently in the UK and that sounds really dumb to other cultures. You have to remember that even though english is spoken in the USA it is a foreign country, why should they adopt our culture? What next English pubs lining the 192, oops too late!!!

quote:Originally posted by scamhammer

It is most annoying that the US tern “rest room” is now to be seen in British-owned hotels in the UK. Why can Americans not say the word “toilet”.

The most ridiculous example was when an Orlando newscaster last month referred to turtles “going to the bathroom” on Daytona Beach.

Yeah unfortunately so, I think it's easy to forget as you pointed out Martin, that the USA is a foreign country and we as visitors shoud respect that. I do think that british tourists can sometimes be the worst, as we do tend to look for signs of home everywhere! I already said in another thread that only british tourists would pay over the top prices for a packet of Walkers crisps on a two week break! I personally want to experience the local culture of a place when I am away from home rather than try to recreate my homeland!

I can honestly say though martin, I've yet to meet someone that says they are going to the powder room!
    Tink

Gold 5 Star Member
    You do, though, meet people I bet who say they're off to powder their nose! And with men, dogs come into the explanation of why they're leaving the room or, in my cousin's case, bicycles!

blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    You have to appreciate that to an American, the word toilet refers to the the actual fixture. So asking where the toilets are feels kind of crude if you can look at it from an American's point of view. When I go to the UK I use British terms (to the extent I know them), knowing that although it sounds strange to me, I am the visitor. That's part of the fun of being someplace other than home!

Same here Stuart, as the saying goes..... 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do!'
    Tink

Gold 5 Star Member
    Being in the toilet business as a janitorial company, I can tell you that bathroom is the most commonly used name for what we call a loo. Fairly confusing for us as no bath in there. Realtors in Celebration refer to them as powder rooms. Kids seem to refer to it as "potty".
    There are all sorts of pseudonoyms given on loo doors here also, such as guys and dolls, cowboys and cowgirls ete etc.
    Julie

Gold 5 Star Member
    quote:Originally posted by tinkerbell

Yeah unfortunately so, I think it's easy to forget as you pointed out Martin, that the USA is a foreign country and we as visitors shoud respect that. I do think that british tourists can sometimes be the worst, as we do tend to look for signs of home everywhere! I already said in another thread that only british tourists would pay over the top prices for a packet of Walkers crisps on a two week break! I personally want to experience the local culture of a place when I am away from home rather than try to recreate my homeland!

I can honestly say though martin, I've yet to meet someone that says they are going to the powder room!
    If you come to the Cape and ask for the Loo....you'll find people here now know what that is......Americans love English words.....and spend time learning them.....I'd not be worried about just being English...and using words you use at home....

Florida Expert
    We also use the "Ladies Room, but if you want to be really crude you can ask where the John is!! Just kiddin...even though it does stand for that!!
    Patti

www.orlandovillas.com/Villas/263.aspx