Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The non Disney Vacation

Florida Savvy

The non Disney Vacation

I've travelled to Orlando many times (too many trips to remember them all) and so ive done all the parks several times but i was wondering what does everyone else get up to (apart from the obvious Eating and Shopping).

Do you always go to Disney/Universal/Seaworld?

On my last trip I didn't visit one one park and I enjoyed the free days to explore the other side to Orlando i came across Winter Garden village which I loved & spent more time exploring Celebration, we also had more leisurely days at our rented Villa ( much more relaxing vacation )
    Sarah

We seem to spend a lot of time at Orlando Watersports Centre
    Jan and Lee

Lake Louisa is a state park off the US27 near Clermont. You can spend a lovely peaceful day here, picnicking, cycling or just relaxing on the 'beach'.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/lakelouisa/default.cfm
    Debra

Gold 5 Star Member
    You could try further afield and come visit us on the Gulf Coast [msnwink]

Lynne

Citrus picking at Showcase of Citrus
    Dawn Murray

We were over September last year for 3 weeks & for the first time ever (twice a year since 1998) , didn't do Disney....
    Have to admit a visit to Harry P. tho, Sue who's usually a wuss actually did the Forbidden Journey !!
    Bok Gardens is worth a trip, very relaxing with an excellent caff & souvenir shoppe. We did the tram trip @ St. Augustine which we found a bit of a giggle as most of American 'history' in't all that old.....
    Bit disappointed in the Winter Park boat trip, concentrated too much on the relative value of the homes surrounding the lake for our tastes.
    Got mugged by squirrels when we wandered around the lake @ Celebration.
    Visited Fantasy of Flight for the first time & really will have to go again, too much to see in one day !
    I guess the only "theme parks" we visit without fail are Lowes & Home Depot..........

Romford, UK & Highgate Park, Davenport, Florida
    We haven't done disney for the last 3 years and tend to visit twice a year.

There is so much more to see and do. If you decide to go I could send you some details of different places to visit, just drop me a message [msnsmile]

Sandra
    Sandra

Florida Expert
    We always try and do one new thing and last time we went to Honeymoon Island (think a recommendation from Steph) Beautiful. Well worth a visit but don't rely on the sat nav. When we asked in a shop the lady said it's just over there but will take you 20 - 30 minutes by road! Would go again

The only time we visit the theme parks these days is if we have first time visitors staying with us and we still don't have time to see as much as Florida as we would like. Would definately recommend Lake Louisa Park - take a picnic if you are staying for the day, Bok Gardens, the Citrus place (can't think of the name at the moment) on the 27 just south of Lake Louisa, and also Lake Eva Park and Lake Wales. Further afield would recommend Siesta Key beach on the Gulf Coast and we like Melbourne beach on the East coast especially as you can reach it very easily just by driving along the 192 eastbound to it's end and when you can drive no further you turn right and then left and you are there. A very handy Wendy's sited in this area for refreshments and bathroom facilities!

A little further away is St Augustine - lovely place. If you take the 'trolley tour' get the one with the retired barrister from England. He has a small electric trolley, takes around 7 people and goes to places the big trolley does not. He is also a member of the historical society and is very knowledgeable on the real american history and not the romanticised version you get on the big trolleys. Price is the same but no comparison on quality. We went the 'pretty' way when we visited and drove through a State Forest - if anyone is interested I can find the route and let you know. We stayed at the St Francis Inn overnight and drove back down the coast road on the A1, ended up on Melbourne beach for a couple of hours before driving home on the 192. Great trip!!

I could go on but will leave it to others to recommend some of their favourite places!

You are going to be very busy on your next trip and never touch the theme parks!!!!!!!

A trip to Mount Dora is a good way to spend a day. Lovely lake that you can take a trip on, and lots of old fashioned antique type shops and tea shops.