Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Where else on the Gulf Coast is most like Captiva/Sanibel?

Where else on the Gulf Coast is most like Captiva/Sanibel?

Curses, curses, blast and fiddlesticks!

Just tried to book Easter in Captiva and none of the properties we want are available. We've left it too late. Can anyone help with suggestions of an alternative place with the same island feel to it? We want elegance, quiet, seclusion, large villa with pool, walking distance to restaurants, steps away from the beach - in short, all the things we love about Captiva but somewhere else. I think it's a tall order, but any suggestions from those who know the area gratefully received. Blast, blast, blast and blast again!
    Tonish

Florida Chatterbox
    Hi Tonish - we also love the Gulf coast but it is much more tricky finding the right villa compared to the Disney area. Last year we visited Gasparilla Island (Boca Grande) from our base in Cape Coral, near Fort Myers. It might be a good alternative for you. This year we couldn't find a large enough villa (plenty of 3 beds) so had to opt for north Fort Myers but the villa looks great and it's right on the water. Will make a change to our usual area. There are vacation rentals on Gasparilla but not a great many - just depends on your budget and size of party. The hotel is lovely, colonial style, but expensive of course. The other option is to stay off island and just travel in but I know that's not the same... good luck.

You sure left it until the last minute. Easter has been very very busy for enquiries and I expect even more so in the Captiva area which does not have such a large choice. Sorry can't help you with other suggestions as I reckon all the areas will be pretty much the same. Sanibel, Anna Marie, etc.etc.

Good luck.

Boca Grande/Gasparilla is a beautiful island but very expensive for accommodation. There are still properties available in Rotonda West where you can have the villa with private pool yet just 15-20 minutes drive to Boca Grande. We drove across to the island ourselves today. Hardly any cars, just golf carts, quaint (pricey) stores, lots of places to eat, beaches that were nearly empty.
    Maureen Green

Gold 5 Star Member
    I posted some photos yesterday of our local beaches on this thread http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums...068-Best-beach

may give you an idea of what this unique stretch of coastline is like.

Rotonda West itself, is 30 sq miles of natural habitat interspersed with canals and golf courses.
    It is peaceful and both a mix of full time residents and vacation homes.
    You will need to drive to the beaches, shops and restaurants, it is not a resort but safe to walk and cycle around.

The locals have a saying *Just Another Day in Paradise* and this is so true.

It is also laid back Florida, it is not sophisticated.

Gasparilla Island is the haunt of the quietly rich East Coast residents who winter here and return north for the summer.

There are places for rent on the island depending on your budget, but cannot say if any are available this late for Easter.

However it is easily drivable from Rotonda West as Mo has already said and there are other stunning beaches to explore also the barrier islands many of which have deserted
    coves and bays. Explore by boat, local hire is close by.

Hope this helps.

Lynne
    Last edited by Pookie; 21-01-2012 at 08:02.

Peter, not wishing to teach Grandma to Suck eggs, but have you tried getting in touch with the Chamber of Commerce on Sanibel? I found them very good in the past when looking for accommodation.

Good luck

Diane.
    Diane.

Thanks all, I'll check these out. Diane, I've called them but they didn't have what I wanted unfortunately, but thanks for the suggestion. My own fault entirely for only getting round to it now.

I'm taking no chances for the summer, just booked a house for a month in Captiva so Mrs T and the younger ones can spend most of the summer there and I will fly out for a couple of weeks.

Back to the hunt for Easter.
    Tonish

Florida Chatterbox
    Have you given a thought to Marco island. ?

shhh

Dave