Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Alamo and National Silver option now allows you to return the car full

Administrator

Our Alamo and National Silver option now allows you to return the car full

Great news, as this has been requested by many of you. For collections from 1st April 2012, if you are on the Alamo or National Silver option you can now choose to return the car with a full tank of fuel thus avoiding the refueling charge.

This also applies if you have already booked your car.

If you have your voucher and it states to return empty, don't worry as you can still return full without charge.

This is strictly for collections on or after 1st April 2012, so if you collect before that date and return after the 1st you should still return empty and pay for the tank.

Florida Expert
    Thank goodness for that, so much easier to return full than to have a couple of paid-for gallons in the tank that the next renter is going to pay for again !!!
    Clare R

Florida Newbie
    Thats totally appreciated guys! I hope all rental companies allow it, makes the service utilization much more convenient

Florida Newbie
    I wouldn't bet on it. I've just returned back from Orlando where I hired a car with the silver option. After resisting the salesman's attempts to upgrade my car category the conversation went something like this:
    Salesman: You need to return the car empty
    Me: But isn't there the option of full:full?
    Salesman: No the package you have is for return empty
    Me: I don't think that's right
    Salesman: It is
    Me: (after fumbling around for booking confirmation) yes here it is, it says I have the option of returning empty
    Salesman: Well its in the computer system, there's nothing I can do, sign here
    Me: You mean this part on the form where it says I have accepted the pre-fuel option?
    Salesman: No you're just signing to say you're picking up the car
    Me: But that's not what it says
    Salesman: Shrugging, its in the computer system
    Me: Just give me the car, I'll sort it out when I'm back in England
    Salesman: (getting irate) Well you can call my manager if you like, and he can sort it out and remove the option, but it will take some time

At this point I just gave in and accepted the wretched pre-fuel option, I had a tired and cranky family after a nine hour flight and we just wanted to get away. In the end I reckon I returned the car with about ten dollars worth of fuel in it. It still pisses me off, because the man behind the counter clearly lied to me in order to get his commission on the fuel sale. But for the sake of ten dollars what's the point in pursuing it.

I guess no system is perfect, but I'm sure Roger will be interested in this post and pursue it with the hire company (he's in Florida though so will be asleep at the moment!)
    Caroline & Dave

Administrator
    I'm sorry to hear about that. It is the case that on our Silver option with Alamo, you can choose to return the car full, or to return empty and pre-pay for the tank of gas.

This is a new policy - up until recenty the only option was to return empty and pay for the tank. We are one of few suppliers that have the option to return full. We have hundreds of collections each week with Alamo and we have had around 2 or 3 in total with a similar experience to you. I suspect it may be a combination of the staff not being used to this new option, and possibly Alamo entering an incorrect booking type on their system at their end.

It may be a bit late for you, but for others, in the unlikely event this happens again, I would recommend returning the car full (assuming that is still what you want to do) but make sure you get a receipt for the full tank from the gas station close to the airport. Then when you drop the car off, make sure the check-in clerk acknowledges the tank of gas. Sometimes this is not possible, but in that case when you get home, if Alamo do still charge for the tank of gas then drop us an email with your order number and a sacnned copy of your receipt and we can take it up with Alamo for you.

Just returned ourselves and our agent asked if we would be re-buying the tank of fuel as it would be cheaper that way. We declined and took it back full with no problems at all. So I guess it could be the agent you get on the day.
    Dawn Murray

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    We picked up a car at Sanford in June and the assistant refused to give us a contract to bring it back full, just said just tell them when you return the car that it is full and they will cancel the charge, we tried to argue the point but he would not budge. We ent to the Alamo in Disney on the next day and they could not have been more helpful, cancelled one and printed out another with the return full option.

We collected another car last week from Sandford and guess what, the same problem again, again we went the next day to Disney and again they were really helpful.
    Lyn

Florida Expert
    Is there no way the two options can be shown in the paperwork that is printed off as this was the same problem we had with both collections we made in July. In Miami they readily accepted we could return full but at Orlando the guy was far less pleasant.
    Tracey

Florida Newbie
    I picked my car up from the Alamo desk at Tampa last night and the guy was really trying to get me to take the car back empty, as, I quote ' You better make sure you overfill this car sir because we will charge you extra if we have to top you up. There are no fuel stations nearby. Anyway our fuel is much cheaper'.
    He was also quite unpleasant about the enhanced breakdown package I arranged through US Car hire. He showed the document to another desk assistant and they joined forces in telling me that they had never heard of such a product and that I shouldn't use third parties to book car rental as they sell inferior products.
    If I'm honest this was the worst experience I have ever had when collecting a rental car.
    Please someone tell me this was just a guy was just unhappy that he was unable to make any commission and that I have done the right thing.
    budvar