Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool Position

Pool Position

Hi looking for your thoughts and experiences- I think I may have found a villa we all like- it has the lake view I wanted and - 2 master US king size suites- but discovered last night on speaking to the owner that its not South facing at the back- I think must be pretty much North as she says gets sun from early morning until late afternoon-
    So my question is as we are going in July is this going to be a big deal? Its the one thing putting me off- am I just being daft?

It's really difficult to answer this without knowing the exact pool in question, SOME north facing pools will have plenty of sun and SOME will have next to none - you need to factor in how far the pool is from the house, ie will the shadow from the house mean that the pool is in shade, if sunbathing is important to you is there enough deck area away from the house so that you're not laying in the shade.
    During July the sun will be high so a North facing pool will definitely be at its sunniest at this time of the year.
    Caroline & Dave

The owner told me it has an extended deck

Florida Chatterbox mary and colin's Avatar
    I don't think you are being daft at all but if you have spoken to the owner and they say you get sun from early morning until late afternoon would that not be enough in July? It could get to hot to stay in unless the villa has some shade.
    Our pool is South West facing and we still swim in the pool in the evenings no problem in fact we welcome the shade when it gets really hot. In May when we go i sit with my feet in the pool first thing in the morning and that is still warm even though the sun is not directly on the pool at 8 o'clock.
    It would be a shame to not have this villa if that amount of time with sunshine would be enough. Just my thoughts hope you don't mind me saying.
    Mary

Florida Expert
    If it's a south facing pool in your wish list, then dont spoil your holiday by going for a north facing pool. Although some may be ok in the summer, I know that others hardly get any sun. even at this time of year

I took a particular note when we were out in May one year how much sun the north side of our house got. It is a two storey and the sun was on that side for nearly all the day. As it is so high there will be little difference at that time of the year. Our pool is south west/west facing and gets the sun from about 10am.
    Jill and Brian

Gold 5 Star Member
    The home we used to own had a North East facing pool and I can honestly say that it still got the sun for the majority of the day, especially in July. It was a single storey home and the deck was a large one which did help. The owner is likely to be telling the truth as in the long run owners do not want complaints from guests and if you got there and found there was no sun on the deck I am sure you would complain. If it ticks all your other boxes I would think you should be fine.
    Ruth

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    I have a west,north west and south west facing pool, The west facing pool gets sun, from mid morning til sunset, and the south west gets if from around 9.30 til sunset, And this is the same approx all year round give or take an hour. With not any backyard factors to consider we do not get shadows from any homes on our west facing pool, they are too far away, when the shadows are at the longest, our south west pool on the left side comes into play late evening, but we also have an extended deck and it gets the sun the longest than any of our neighbours. There are other factors to consider than it is just not south facing.
    CERI

With an extended deck you will get sun all day, areas close to the house will have shade, or there will be a canopy for shade. It is extremely hot in July and you will appreciate some shade.
    Last edited by florida4sun; 11-01-2012 at 16:27.

Romford, UK & Highgate Park, Davenport, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by florida4sun View Post
    With an extended deck younwill get sun all day, areas close to the house will have shade, or there will be an canopy for shade. It is extremely hot in Julynand you will appreciate some shade.
    I completely agree with what Martin has said, it is so hot that you will be glad of some shade that the lanai offers.

The sun is so high in the sky that even north facing get lots of sun, ours is single story and we get sun from 8.30am right through to around 6.30 in the summer months

Sandra
    Sandra