Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pool Position

Florida Chatterbox
    We have a north facing pool and in the summer months we actually prefer it to a south facing pool. Because we have an extended deck the first little bit is in the shade and the pool itself and a large area of decking is in the sun and this gives a choice to everyone as some don't like to lie in the direct sun. I personally would hate to have a south facing pool in the summer without any sort of Lanai or shade . . . . but saying that I would love a South facing pool in December/January.
    Andy

Many thanks guys for your thoughts -much appreciated as always - I looked up google maps as I kmow exactly where the house is and the pool is almost exactly East facing.

Our north facing pool gets the sun most of the day, particularly in the summer months when the sun is very high in the sky. We have only a single storey home and there are no two-storey homes around so the pool is not in shadow. We have a lanai and so many of our guests have said that they have been grateful for the shade that they can get under that during the hot months, it also has a fan so helps them cool off.
    We are usually there March- mid May and October - mid-December and get more than enough sun during those months.

Andrena

Indian ridge oak Florida , South Godstone
    The last time we were at our south facing pool villa in November we were enjoying ourselves sunbathing on floating sunbeds in the pool and I thought this weather is perfect, I will have to take some photos, So as soon as I opened the front door to grab the camara from the car at the front of the house, I could'nt believe what a change in temperture there was, had to put a jumper on, the neighbours were glad I did, because its never a pretty sight, just me in my speedos!!
    [beer]
    Tony

Florida Chatterbox
    As an owner of a North-facing pool on a single storey villa, I can concur with many of the points made earlier. During the high summer, the sun is so high in the sky, the pool and deck get full sun from 9am to 6pm. The covered lanai is shaded which is perfect on 90 degree sunny days and is often a good escape for drinks under the fan; something the south-facers on the community don't have. However, come the winter months the deck on the villa side of the pool gets very little, if any sun, most of the day. We have added deck on the other side of the pool to guarantee all-year sun bathing but it was a problem before this change. So in the summer months I can see a benefit to having a north-facing pool. In the winter, south-facers have the obvious advantages.

However, I agree that all properties are different and you should always check with the owners.

We have a pool with an easterly aspect. In summer it is just right as we have breakfast watching the sunrise and by the time it is hot in the afternoon we have cool shade. However, in the winter it would not suit everyone so we had a deck built on to the garden side which is south facing and has the sun throughout the day every day at any time of the year. With a large home, we find that even within one group you get guests who have a different tolence for the sun so like many home owners we try to cater for a wide group of guests as possible.
    Angela

Thanks Angela -So with an extended deck what time do you think we would get sun until.
    I am not really bothered for myself but my cousin loves to sunbath and can see her getting annoyed if the sum disappears at 2 pm!!
    If its there until 4 ish then I think that would be ok

Quote Originally Posted by lynnroy View Post
    Many thanks guys for your thoughts -much appreciated as always - I looked up google maps as I kmow exactly where the house is and the pool is almost exactly East facing.
    We rented a home with an East facing pool one January and the sun was gone by 3pm. In summer I would expect this to be later as the sun is higher in the sky.
    Jan and Lee

In July you will be so glad of a little if not a lot of shade
    Val