Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: When to buy insurance

Florida Newbie

When to buy insurance

Hi guys

Am so excited again to be coming to Florida. I have agreed on a villa and am just about to renew my passport prior to booking flights. Car hire can come later. My question is though when is the right time to take out travel insurance - when you have booked flights or later on before the holiday in September. Cant remember what I did last time. Am expecting a big premium though as although I have hip replacements which I always declare and which have been covered before, last July I had a second hip replacement i.e. a revision so am wondering if that will be covered and my age 72 is against me too. Any ideas chaps

Lisiann

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    For many years now we have purchased annual insurance. As when we take the unexpected trip at any time, it did mount up all the one off travel insurances, and worked out far cheaper to it all in one. So ours is covered all year round. From the point where you do not have travel insurance and the need to book it for an upcoming trip, I would say now. Just in case, Should the possibility ever happen between now and your travel time that you cannot make your trip for whatever reason, then you are covered. I did know someone that was in a position that they could not travel for a paid ticket, but did not have travel insurance at the time, so waited until just before the trip to book it, and claimed a cancellation, and they did not pay out as the insurance post dated the travel problems. Is it worth the risk.

My mother-in-law who travelled with us a few years ago, is of the mature age group and has a pre-existing medical condition and got great coverage from the British Mountaineering Council. Odd I know, but they were recommended on here a few years ago, But not sure if they have changed anything since then.
    CERI

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    You need to have your insurance as soon as you book the first part of your trip.
    We too have an annual policy, ours runs out in May. As we are not going to the states this year I May not renew it until we book anything. We are holidaying at Easter this year so will stil be covered on our annual one for that trip.
    Christine

As soon as you pay out on the first part of your holiday, buy insurance !!!
    Flights usually come first & are the most expensive part.....
    God forbid, but if the worst was to happen just after you've paid for your travel, unless you have insurance in place, you'll loose big time.
    I'm sure nothing untoward will happen unless you're uninsured, but best to be certain [msnsmile]

Florida Chatterbox
    I would also like to suggest you get the insurance cover as soon as flights are booked.

A friend who recently travelled to Florida got her insurance through Saga.

Florida Newbie
    I have been having a scout around on the net. Premiums seem to vary widely - Staysure seem to cover joint replacements under their many free conditions but Saga and some others want full details and the trouble is you have to get the quote first thereby having to give details and phone numbers, before they ask for the medical conditions. Consequently next morning they are on the phone which drives me mad when I am just casting about. So I reckon I will have to talk over the phone to ensure I get full cover and cough up a hefty premium no doubt. They seem to think over 70's are riddled with illness which is not always the case

Lisiann