Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it

Florida Newbie

Is it worth it

Have just booked my flights to Florida in July flying out on the second virgin flight at 1345 and back on the 1900 but have only booked economy. Have priced up PE an it's an extra 2200 for all four of us has anyone on here flown PE and is it really worth the extra my wife assures me it will be
    Last edited by Mutbeav8; 12-01-2012 at 22:05.

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutbeav8 View Post
    Have just booked my flights to Florida in July flying out on the second virgin flight at 1345 and back on the 1900 but have only booked economy. Have priced up PE an it's an extra 2200 for all four of us has anyone on here flown PE and is it really worth the extra my wife assures me it will
    Its all a matter of opion. You will find that some will say its not worth it but we always fly PE with Virgin and we think its worth it. Its all comes down to how you want to spend your money.

An alternative is to fly out Economy and come back PE because in my opinion PE is well worth it coming home when you are trying to get some sleep/rest and the extra legroom and wider seat helps with this.

As I say you pay your money and you make your choice.

Romford, UK & Highgate Park, Davenport, Florida
    I'd also say just do it on the way back as on the way there it's a day time flight and the children will be quite happy to pass the times watching films etc but on the way back you want to try to sleep so the seat difference might help

Use the difference as spending money and I'm sure that's better spent

Sandra
    Sandra

I'd stand up on the way there if I had to!! But, like the others have said, coming home is a different matter altogether. That's when you want to sleep (especially if you have some distance to drive to get home), so any extra comfort is welcome.

Having said that I've also had a good sleep in Economy on many flights, but being short does help with legroom. I would certainly never upgrade for the difference in food and drinks etc.. To do so would be the most expensive meal/drink that it's likely that I would ever have experienced!

If I had a fixed amount of money and had to choose between an upgraded flight (either both ways or one way) and doing other things on my holiday, then I'd book a much bigger and nicer car for the whole holiday, swim with the dolphins, go to some of the really great restaurants and treat myself to some great new clothes at much cheaper prices than I can get them at home, as well as doing all of the Parks.
    Last edited by Carla; 07-01-2012 at 16:39.
    Carla

I am the same as Carla. I have flown both ways PE. Also flown both ways economy and flown home PE only.All depends on the price I initially pay for he flights and what I plan to do when in Florida.
    Only you can decide!!!
    Barbara

Only flown PE on two occasions with Virgin - once a free upgrade on the return journey which were seats in PE downstairs and the second time we booked PE on the way out but upstairs. I have to say was not that impressed and would not pay that sort of money again. Downstairs configuration was 2-4-2 so not that much extra room compared with a good seat in economy; upstairs had more room as a 2-2 config but the Crew upgraded a family who had not managed to get seats together downstairs who had 3 children under the age of 5 who spent the entire flight running up and down the aisle, falling over, crying, getting back up, running up and down, falling over, - you get the picture. Staff said nothing to the parents, not did they say anything to the 4 golfers who stood at the back of our seats for almost the entire flight steadily getting more and more drunk, louder, and using extremely bad language.

Food was not that much better either and I understand it is even worse now they have introduced their new menus!!!

Would not waste my money again - but that's just my opinion!!

I agree with the above Virgin PE from Orlando is not good on the 'old' planes but is better than economy.

This is not an answer to your question but I have posted in case it is of help to others who read this thread.

Depending on the time of year and the amount of time you have available there is another option. That is to spend the money on a return cruise for around the same amount as the return sector on the plane.

The cruise companies have 'repositioning' cruises in April and May when a lot of ships leave Florida for the European summer season.

We have just secured a balcony cabin leaving Ft Lauderdale for Dover via Lisbon for £950 per person. OK it takes 14 days to get home but there's no luggage restrictions and no jet lag. You do put on a few extra pounds in weight however.

Regards Dave
    Dave Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    I agree with the above Virgin PE from Orlando is not good on the 'old' planes but is better than economy.

This is not an answer to your question but I have posted in case it is of help to others who read this thread.

Depending on the time of year and the amount of time you have available there is another option. That is to spend the money on a return cruise for around the same amount as the return sector on the plane.

The cruise companies have 'repositioning' cruises in April and May when a lot of ships leave Florida for the European summer season.

We have just secured a balcony cabin leaving Ft Lauderdale for Dover via Lisbon for £950 per person. OK it takes 14 days to get home but there's no luggage restrictions and no jet lag. You do put on a few extra pounds in weight however.

Regards Dave
    Thank you Dave that info is very useful. It's a few years since we did a cruise apart from a couple of 3/4 days.Maybe its worth a try for our next return trip to Florida.
    Barbara

These are my thoughts too. Have only flown once in PE, both ways, and personally I wouldn't pay the extra again as prefer to spend the amount saved when actually there.

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    I'd stand up on the way there if I had to!! But, like the others have said, coming home is a different matter altogether. That's when you want to sleep (especially if you have some distance to drive to get home), so any extra comfort is welcome.

Having said that I've also had a good sleep in Economy on many flights, but being short does help with legroom. I would certainly never upgrade for the difference in food and drinks etc.. To do so would be the most expensive meal/drink that it's likely that I would ever have experienced!

If I had a fixed amount of money and had to choose between an upgraded flight (either both ways or one way) and doing other things on my holiday, then I'd book a much bigger and nicer car for the whole holiday, swim with the dolphins, go to some of the really great restaurants and treat myself to some great new clothes at much cheaper prices than I can get them at home, as well as doing all of the Parks.
    Linda

Should have said that we upgraded to a Balcony cabin. The interior which is still way better than 1st class on a plane was only £630 per person.

Regards Dave
    Dave Lewis