Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Passport and visa

Florida Newbie

Passport and visa

It is some years since I last visited these forums and Florida. Hoping to go in September but realise passport expires in April. How do I go about renewing it and also what do I have to do about a visa. Didnt need one when I last visited. Any help I would be very grateful
    Lisiann

Hi
    I always renew our passports using the post office checking service and you don't need a visa providing you are going for less than a month but you do need to fill out online and pay for your ESTA (electronic system for travel authorization)
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
    This is good for two years I think once you've done it- you can go in and update it with new addresses etc if you go on holiday again the following year. Not sure the price but its not expensive- last time we did it it was free but our two years runs out this March so will have to pay for it this year.

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    Do not apply for your esta until you have renewed your passport. Esta runs out 2 years after application or when your passport runs out - whichever is the soonest
    Christine

Gold 5 Star Member
    We were going to renew one before Christmas which expires Feb and didnt as we realised we would have to renew Esta and, as we arent planning to go till summer, would lose 6 months validity of Esta effectively. We had filled it in online and they had sent a printed copy for us to sign and send back. You dont have to send a new photo unless you have changed drastically as they use the old one apparently. Was quite impressed with the speed .
    The Visa waiver covers you for up to 90 days, providing you meet the criteria for Visa free travel, including no arrests, no mental illness, and various other things, there's been a few posts on that and a sample form to help make sure you comply with Esta.
    Babblin Boo

I have just sent my renewal for a Passport off. You do have to have new photo's - you just don't need to get them signed if you haven't changed drastically since your last passport.

I got the forms from the Post Office and then paid the extra £3 for the PO to check my forms before sending it off. You pay at the PO by either cash or CC. Hope it doesn't take too long as I feel a trip to Florida coming on. My passport is not due for renewal until July but we are off to Thailand in May and you need to have 6 months left on your passport, hence an early renewal to make sure I have it back!!

Gold 5 Star Member
    Sorry Sandra with the jet lag must have remembered the photo thiing wrong. I thought last time we used check and send it was about £7 so good if it has gone down. We had a bit of a nightmare at MCO, having decided not to renew Hubbys passport as they said , you haven't got 6 months left, to which we said "we know, but the uscis website sayes youu don't need it. They said that's true as we are from the UK and that is on eof the countries that don't need 6 months but it means we have to take you for further questioning. He wasn't impressed and said to me it's a bit stupid, if that's the case they should say , " you don't need 6 months but if you havent then you'll get grief. Just hoping it hasn't "marked his card" and he'll get flagged each time, although obviously will have a new passport next time we go.
    Babblin Boo

Super Moderator
    Sorry to hear about your husband - he must have caught a 'jobsworth'. When my last passport expired I had not checked the expiry date, got to Heathrow and realised it was only valid for 10 days after my return. Was worried I would not get in but had not problems and did not get hauled in for further questioning, whether it was because the boys were both school age and their passports still had a couple of years on them I do not know. I now keep a note of when my passport expires and renew it as soon as possible.

Florida Newbie
    thanks so much to you all - am off to the Post Office to get my renewal form and will get them to check and send. Knew I could rely on these forums to give me all the answers. I remember well some years ago how helpful the forums were with any queries I had about my holidays to Florida. Can hardly wait - just deciding on which of all the beautiful villas to choose from. Had so many replies back and they all look simply lovely but want one where the pool overlooks a lake as I love the wildlife. But was impressed to see that they are competitive and the rentals vary quite considerably some quite a bit cheaper than others, which means it would help towards the car hire

Lisiann