Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cheapest Supermarkets

We were over in October and yes noticed an increase in the price of food in the supermarkets. Walmart have always been the cheapest, I compare to Asda in the UK. Publix is always good quality but like over in the UK look for bargains and special offers.
    Val

We don't need much of an excuse to eat out, but the jump in food prices in the supermarket this year is breathtaking. I would say it's definitely now markedly more expensive than the UK. We bought our Christmas dinner stuff at Publix at Champions Gate, and were really surprised at the cost. We have gone out to eat more as a result.
    Tonish

Haven't really done much supermarket shopping this year as we are only at the villa for 10 days before heading to Vero Beach to meet up with friends, so we just have to tick all the favourite restaurants off of the list! The restaurant prices don't feel as hiked as they did at the visit we had maybe about 1-2 years ago, definitely felt they were pricier then. Best deal so far has to be a meal at Sweet Tomatoes for two adults and 3 children, with 5 fountain drinks, total came to $32. This was with a voucher from their Club Veg, definitely worth signing up for some of these clubs before your visit.
    Euan

I live in Kissimmee and I shop at Kissimmee Produce for my meats and veg. Very cheap there for your basics and I use the dollar tree for my cleaning products.

Cool

We are going in 4 weeks time and plan on buying stuff like toilet paper, shower gel, toothpaste etc. at the Dollar Tree. They are the cheapest. For other stuff we go to Walmart and Publix. But we don't buy much as we DO NOT cook when on holiday. Brekkie at Sizzler every morning ($ 29 for 5 adults), cheap lunch combos (around $ 7 p.p.) and take out in the evenings.
    We found that buying groceries (even back in 2008) was more expensive than we thought esp. since you need to get basics that you only partly use.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by letournerie View Post
    We are going in 4 weeks time and plan on buying stuff like toilet paper, shower gel, toothpaste etc. at the Dollar Tree. They are the cheapest. For other stuff we go to Walmart and Publix. But we don't buy much as we DO NOT cook when on holiday. Brekkie at Sizzler every morning ($ 29 for 5 adults), cheap lunch combos (around $ 7 p.p.) and take out in the evenings.
    We found that buying groceries (even back in 2008) was more expensive than we thought esp. since you need to get basics that you only partly use.
    I was going to suggest Dollar tree can save a fair bit on things like dishwasher tablets, soap powder if you are not tied to a particular brand, sauces etc that you may end up throwing half of them away. We always get the basics on arrival at Publix then go to the Dollar Tree at Posner Park the following morning before we do a proper shop. They have quite a bit in the chilled and frozen dept they didnt use to carry as well.

It also depends on your budget and party size as to the economics, even $30 for a party of five, who in our case would mostly be happy with a bowl of cereal or toast and pancakes wouldonly cost a couple of dalloars , if you multiply that $30 even for 10 days that's a fair whack. Also not everyone wants to eat at the same time and whenever you have to sit and be served your time soon gets eaten away in the day.

Whole Fooods near Sand Lake may not be the cheapest but they seem to have a good selelction.
    Last edited by steph_goodrum; 05-01-2012 at 13:44.
    Babblin Boo