Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest Supermarkets

Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    I know this is a regular debate but is it really more cost-effective to eat out?

I suppose how many people are in your party and where you actually go to eat are the most important factors but I find it very hard to believe that it's better value than buying groceries and making your own meals.
    I suspect it would be difficult for most of us to do a direct comparison, depending on our shopping habits. Unlike going to a restaurant, which can be a one of transaction, the grocery bill can either include additional items which the undisciplined amongst us find just happen to jump from the shelves into the cart, or they can also span several days worth of eating and include snacks/fruit/drinks which would not be associated with just a single meal. Plus, to do a real comparison, you could be really pedantic and ensure that the food items were comparable and that you also allocated a figure for both your time used in preparation and clearing up and any utilities and resources used.

Or ... you could just say, nyah, we're on holiday, let's go out to eat.
    Euan

Florida Expert
    We do our main shopping in Walmart and then go to Costco for our meat (buy in bulk and put in freezer), but we tend to have lots of BBQ's and eat in more than most holiday makers.

Super Moderator
    Anyone can apply for a Winn Dixie card which is free and it then entitles them to the special offers - we have saved quite a lot of money on different items over the years.

Florida Chatterbox
    It's a mistake to think that Walmart are always the cheapest. On our recent trip we found that milk, for example, was 16c a gallon cheaper at Publix. We also have a Winn Dixie card, and with the card, prices there are sometimes much better than Walmart.

For fruit and veg we also use the local market in downtown Haines City on Wednesday mornings - usually better and cheaper than the supermarkets.

Florida Newbie
    Hi

We have just returned from Florida and I would agree that everything seems to be much more expensive than last time, but that was 9years ago so can't complaint too much!

We used Walmart to buy a few gifts, disney gift items, but overall the shopping experience and quality of food is better at Publix

In my opinion for a holiday that costs thousands and thousands you want to treat yourself to a bit of quality and shopping at Publix is generally more convenient, not that busy, and the extra cost is not that much

I did notice that the cost of fruit/veg was high for example cucumbers were $1.99 + tax in both publix and walmart, which is more than here in the Uk

In my opinion as a family of four it was much cheaper to cook in the villa, or buy takeway and eat at the villa, as my kids are young ( 3 & 5) this was also much less stress!

we were dissapointed with some of the restaurants that we tried (Bob evans and chillis) and to have to pay $60 or so for a meal that you are not happy with is not good. Some of the places we tried were good for example Perkins, Bonefish grill and even Dennys

regards
    Nadim

Florida Newbie AllthingsFlorida's Avatar
    We get on really well with the Publix own brands for example their own deli ham and turkey are on offer regularly and really good quality - we also love their yoghurts and cheese and bakery items.
    for really fresh well priced fruit and veg try the Celebration farmers market on a sunday morning.
    For health foods and treats you can't beat the Wholefoods market - their hot/cold buffet is great too
    MJ

I agree that Wal-mart can be a bit cheaper, but the quality is not nearly as good as at Publix. Also the staff at Publix are so helpful and pleasant, whereas at Wal-mart they, mostly, couldn't care less.

We find that the regular staff at Publix recognise us when we come back and we always get asked how long we are staying and are welcomed, that certainly would not happen at Wal-mart. The few pence extra is worth it for the service and the quality.

Andrena

Super Moderator
    We have found there are several farmers markets in and around the area and love to buy from them, there is normally a large selection of fresh foods on offer.

In some ways comparing Publix and Walmart is a bit like comparing Waitrose and Asda but after seeing the top 10 supermarket satisfaction list last week, which makes interesting reading, perhaps we should also start looking at Aldi who came 2nd behind Waitrose

The Which? survey rankings are:
    1. Waitrose 83%
    2. Aldi 72%
    3. Lidl 68%
    4. Marks & Spencer 67%
    5. Morrisons 60%
    6. Sainsbury's 57%
    7. Asda 51%
    8. Tesco 46%
    9. The Co-operative 46%

Florida Expert
    Walmart on the 27 definately cheaper than Publix on the 27.

However, Publix at the end of the 192 was also cheaper than Publix on the 27 and a man we were speaking to in their said the one at Berrytown Centre on the 27 was known to be more expensive due them cashing in on the number of tourists who shop there due to the high number of vacation homes on the 27.

I prefer Publix mind, Walmart is just too big.

Florida Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    I know this is a regular debate but is it really more cost-effective to eat out?

I suppose how many people are in your party and where you actually go to eat are the most important factors but I find it very hard to believe that it's better value than buying groceries and making your own meals.
    We found it much cheaper to eat out than buy food from the supermarket in October.