Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest Supermarkets

Florida Newbie

Cheapest Supermarkets

Food seems very expensive this time round in Kissimee.

What the best shops to buy your weekly shop in?

Also what are the best health food shops in the Kissimmee area?

Thanks.

You will probably find that Walmart is one of the cheapest although I love Publix and would rather shop there than Walmart.
    Wendy

Florida Expert
    We tend to between the 2. Bulkier and basics from Walmart (cheaper but further from where we stay) day to day, bread, milk and the few meals we eat at the villa (round the corner at Champions Gate) My DH would go to Walmart all the time because he just looks at the bill at the end!

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for your replies.

Is there anything here that is obviously more expensive than the UK to watch out for, or could it be anything?

The shopping bill seems very high!

Just got back and agree - food prices have increased. Do most of our shopping at Walmart but also have a Winn Dixie card (both of these supermarkets just outside the gates of Southern Dunes and in walking distance of the Villa). They have a special offer leaflet each week and you can make great savings with the card - when we called in last Thursday they had BOGOF deals on pork steaks, steak and chicken breasts which are great value. There is also deals like salad bags at half price with the card. You just register for one at the checkout with your name, villa address and telephone number and you are good to go.

Publix in the main is far too expensive - although a member of staff packs yours bags for you as opposed to the checkout operator so I suppose someone has to pay for the extra staffing costs!!

Still some real bargains to be had if you look around.

Have a great holiday

Sweetbay Supermarket has to be my favourite They have some great offers in the meat department and the bread is the best I have tasted in Florida
    But I mainly shop at Publix at Champions Gate only because it’s the nearest and they do have quality cooked meats.

If I go to Lowes on the 27 then I do shop at Wal-Mart next door. But not keen on their bread, cooked meats or the fresh fruit and vegetables, but they are the cheapest.
    I guess the best way is to buy the essentials at Wal-Mart and buy what you like from other supermarkets.
    Barbara

We live in Greece and I am always amazed how cheap it is in Florida compared to home, I love it! We tend to buy the bulk items from Walmart, but I do prefer the meat and fresh produce from Publix and the bread from their bakery is excellent. I find some of the meat much better quality in Publix, but it is priced higher.

I also find Target have a good range of meat and fresh produce and their prices are often similar to Walmart on many items.

I haven't tried Sweetbay Barbara, I must have a visit there.
    Sarah

We arrived last night and went to do a very quick, essentials, shop. We did notice an increase in prices. It gives me a wonderful excuse to eat out more as there are lots of coupons and bargains to be had at some of our favourite eating places. I always ask for a box to bring home any appropriate leftovers.
    I will be off to Costco later today for a shop of toilet rolls, washing powders, pancake mix etc and to see what other bargains they have. Other than that my main shops will be Publix for cooked meats ( Boars Head) and Supertarget for fresh meat, veg and fruit (not oranges will get those from Citrus outlets) . If we were here for 2 weeks I would be seriously thinking that eating out most of the time, is the most cost effective way to go.
    Angela

Gold 5 Star Member
    I know this is a regular debate but is it really more cost-effective to eat out?

I suppose how many people are in your party and where you actually go to eat are the most important factors but I find it very hard to believe that it's better value than buying groceries and making your own meals.

Florida Savvy
    We found that prices were generally lower in Walmart, but Publix have multi-buy savings every week and those items work out cheaper. Publix website has the weekly special offer leaflet. One thing we noticed was that DollarTree sell many of the same brand, same size items as the main supermarkets, but obviously cheaper ($1). Bread (Bunny brand which isn't sweet), bagels, mini pizzas etc.
    Scorpio