Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boston break

Florida Chatterbox

Boston break

Thinking of visiting Boston for a few days next spring, any must sees would be appreciated, also decent hotels near the main sights - or alternatives as there are 6 of us & will need 3 hotel rooms. As taking in laws (so public transport a must, not miles of walking every day) we don;t want a full on schedule but would like a good overview. Any advice appreciated.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I's suggest investing in a Guide Book to get a full picture but a few pointers that might be of interest:

Positives

Shortest transatlantic route from London (6 hours or so) with plentiful flights.

Very easy and short transfer from Logan airport.

Boston is a compact city and a car is not required (or advisable) and the "T" underground train and buses are cheap and reliable.

Great restaurants and bars - particularly for seafood and Italian.

Nice place to wander around and I've never felt unsafe there.

Interesting things to see like the Harbour, Freedom Trail and theatres....

Negatives

Can be very expensive, particularly in hotels and restaurants. If you need 3 rooms you're going to have to fork out a fair amount to stay anywhere decent.

Not sure when in the Spring you're intending to go but Boston can be very cold right into late March and early April and the streets are often covered in snow and ice. It's quaint at first but that soon fades when you're continually avoiding mountains of swept snow on the pavements.

Although there is plenty to see, I wouldn't put Boston in the same category as New York/Washington/San Francisco for must-see sights. For me, a couple of days is enough.

I like Boston and have been there many times and it's well worth a visit. If I had a choice, I'd be reluctant to go until April at the earliest to avoid what can be bitterly cold weather.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 24-11-2011 at 08:44.

Hi

We spent some time there this Easter and really enjoyed it. As KG says above, it's fairly compact and can easily be "done" in a fairly short time. For example, we drove in from Cape Cod early morning, parked the car for the day and got on one of the trolley bus tours. We felt that in the one full day we saw more or less all that we wanted and got a fairly good feel for the place. The trolley bus would seem to be the best way to get around. They go everywhere, take in all the sights, give you commentary and you can get on and off as you please. We weren't staying there, so can't advise on the hotels except to say that they were very expensive, which is one reason we didn't stay overnight. Trying to find parking was difficult.
    Tonish

Florida Savvy
    We spent one day in Boston whilst on a cruise. It was easy to get around on foot and we used the local train for a trip to nearby Salem, a small town with the famous Witch Museum. Train tickets are cheap and it is a very regular service.
    Scorpio

Sounds great - I would like to hear your trip report. This is somewhere I quiet fancy myself.
    Elaine

Boston is lovely, we really like it as a destination to visit.

Worthwhile doing:

Top of the Prudential Building and the Prudential Center for shopping; Quincy Market; Boston Duck Tours (not so unique now); Freedom Trail; you can go over to Cambridge for Harvard, etc. Depending on the time of year Boston Common; Filene's Basement for bargains.

It is an expensive city, hotels can be pricey (you should see the cost of living there!).
    Euan

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP View Post
    Boston is lovely, we really like it as a destination to visit.

Worthwhile doing:

Top of the Prudential Building and the Prudential Center for shopping; Quincy Market; Boston Duck Tours (not so unique now); Freedom Trail; you can go over to Cambridge for Harvard, etc. Depending on the time of year Boston Common; Filene's Basement for bargains.

It is an expensive city, hotels can be pricey (you should see the cost of living there!).
    There won't be much in Filenes Basement after my daughter has her Christmas trip
    We did the Bus tour package with Harbour cruise last year after Christmas, which was great.
    Can check for you on hotels which are recommended and reasonable, we didnt use them so not sure on rates.
    Babblin Boo

Gold 5 Star Member
    Hasn't Filene's gone bust? It certainly hasn't been what it used to be for years now and I'm sure I read that all their stores will be closed down in the next few weeks.

I can recommend a few hotels I've stayed at if you want to PM me but the prices have risen so much over the past few years that I just wouldn't pay the rates at some of them now. A colleague of mine stayed at a very ordinary airport hotel there last Saturday night and his bill came to $280 without food or drink!
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 24-11-2011 at 17:59.

Could have, KG, it's been a while since we were in Boston. Apologies for any mis-info.
    Euan

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks for comments I am going to the library tomorrow so will get a guide book. Only staying there 2 nights en route to Florida - thought we may as well see the city as particularly interested in history & son is doing history A level. We stopped off at Washington DC last trip - it went from 75 degrees the night we arrived to freezing rain the next few days. guess we'll be packing warm layers & shoes!