Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: washing up powder/tabs

Florida Newbie

Wink washing up powder/tabs

Hi

Just wondering what the current advice is on taking your own 2 in 1 washing tablets/powders or using the us powders.

We normally use Persil powder and comfort conditioner here

Would prefer to buy something equivalent in the US if anyone can recommend something, some of the old posts suggest that US powders contain bleach so are not suitable for young kids etc

Also some of the old posts say that you are not allowed to take powders into the US, probably think you are taking drugs in!

appreciate feedback/to find out what other people have been doing recently

Thanks
    Nadim

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    never take stuff-every sort of powder is there-bleach and non bleach

As most US washing machines are top-loaders where the powder is added directly to the clothes before any water, tablets don't work too well - they tend not to dissolve correctly & often leave residues !!!
    Liquids & powders are both OK. Persil (both powder & liquid, bio & non-bio) + fabric conditioners are pretty similar to UK products.
    Tide & some others are available 'over there' with added bleach - but they do tell you on the container !!!
    We have had US style washer & dryer here in UK for the last 4 years as we have found the machines very much more robust, reliable & very much quicker...

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadim View Post

Also some of the old posts say that you are not allowed to take powders into the US, probably think you are taking drugs in!
    I don't think there's anything to prevent it but I suspect the x-ray machines might make security want to open your baggage to check. I used to have a similar problem with stock cubes and curry powder!

Florida Newbie
    Hello

Thanks for the advice. We will just go to Publix and buy Tide non bleach then, no point to take more than we need to from the UK.

Talking of curry powder I think we will be taking some as one of my sons is a very fussy eater, and even though the rest of us are ok to eat most things he loves his curries, so will need to take some curry powder etc.

My wife has her own mixture of various spices and herbs made up, if we put that in a plastic bag and take it do you think we might get stuck at US customs?

Thanks
    Nadim

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadim View Post
    Hello

My wife has her own mixture of various spices and herbs made up, if we put that in a plastic bag and take it do you think we might get stuck at US customs?
    I'm sure that would be OK but I'd keep it in your hand baggage. If Customs open it in your checked bags they might not be that particular about resealing. I know because it happened to me and we spent the first day of our holiday washing it out of our clothes. (not that successfully!)

Hi Nadim, I take persil tabs (Mr M has sensitive skin, anything else brings him out in a rash [msnscared]). All the machines I have use in Florida have been top loaders, I usually start the machine off wait for it to fill up and start to run, then put in the clothes, that way the tabs have dissolved. I haven't figured a way of putting in liquid fabric conditioner, unless you stand over the machine and at the appropiate time lift the lid and pour it in. But as everything goes through the tumble dryer it isn't too much of a problem, however I do use the tumbler dryer sheets to stop static build up. Hope this helps. [msnsmile2]

Diane.
    Diane.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	softner2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	softner1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	182
    Diane, Most (top loaders) have a dispenser in the middle of the agitator where you pour fabric softner....
    Last edited by msmiff; 04-11-2011 at 19:54.

the powder in the US is made for top loader- I also have an American top loader in the UK, and find I have to use more of 'our' powder than I would in a front loader. That, I am told, is because top loaders need suds and agitation to wash well, whereas front loaders are the opposite - suds would be a disaster.
    Anyway, in the UK we are supposed to use Handwash powder or powder made for top loaders............I just double up.
    Anyway- THAT is why you shouldn't take powder with you- it won't work as well Tide is good over there, and Sun.

you can buy all that in walmart, its so cheap... they even do 'trial' packs, we ran out of dishwasher tablets and managed to find by pure luck... day b4 we left a pack with 2 or 3 tablets in it... i love using the american washer/fabric conditioners over there makes my clothes smell lovely and so soft, better then here
    Liesa