Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Leaving your house empty in the Uk

Florida Newbie

Red face Leaving your house empty in the Uk

Hi everyone

Will be in Florida for around 4 weeks this Nov/Dec

Just deciding whether we should turn off the water and gas at the mains when we leave the house, as no one will be coming to keep an eye on it

If we leave the water on and have a leak for 4 weeks that could be disaster!

interested how other people deal with this?

Thanks
    Nadim

If you have a modern heating system with a room stat, it should not be a problem. We leaves ours set at 10 deg when away.

Romford, UK & Highgate Park, Davenport, Florida
    I'd leave the heating on times to come on an hour morning and night to stop the pipes bursting if it gets too cold.

Also it would be horrible to come home to a freezing cold house after 4 weeks away.

Sandra
    Sandra

Oxfordshire UK & Languedoc-Roussillon France
    We always turn the water off, but leave the heating on minimum.
    Amanda

We turn the water off, but leave the heating on a low setting. Just in case we have frost while we are away.
    Barbara

Florida Chatterbox
    Leave the heating on but just lower the thermosat.

Florida Newbie
    I would check with your house insurance company or on your policy.

Insurance companies have been adding exclusions in recent years and one common one is that if your home is left empty and unattended for even a relatively short length of time. YOU HAVE TO SWITCH THE WATER OFF otherwise you will not be covered.

On our last house insurance renewal I noticed they also reduced the number of days the house could be left unoccupied. Down to 30days, it used to be 60days. So I had to change insurance company to get it back up to 60.

So we always switch off the water, drain the hot water system down and set the heating system off to frost stat, and to come back on a couple of days before our return. (Holiday programme)

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    I agree with the above, however you must have a heating system witch is sealed (our old one wasn't and to leave the heating on you would have to leave the water on). With a sealed system you can switch the water off and still have the heating on, Which is what we do.
    Lyn

Florida Newbie
    Hello

Thanks for the advice, we have a combi (sealed system) so could leave that on but turn the water stopcock off

Thanks
    Nadim