Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

View Poll Results: Should the UK remain a part of Europe?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the UK should remain part of Europe

5 7.35%
  • No, the UK should not remain part of Europe

29 42.65%
  • The UK should remain part of Europe but it should re-negotiate it's relationship

34 50.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Should the UK remain in Europe

Gold 5 Star Member
    Keith, that is very childish to say that people who talk against the EU are xenophobic. It isn’t the case. We can all have an open grown up debate about it and we all feel why it is good, or why it isn't good.

I voted no, because the EU is a dictatorship. I don’t see it any different. Directives are churned out on a daily basis telling us what we should do. What happens when the UK loses it’s court case against the EU because they want to relocate our clearing hours from the UK? This will mean huge job losses and revenue but why should the EU tell the UK where it must locate its clearing houses? What would be the next industry to relocate at the request of the EU. That indicates a dictatorship to me, otherwise the UK government would not be taking the EU to court to overturn this. What happens if the UK loses this court case, huge job losses in London. We are wasting money on defending our right to locate our financial clearing houses. If a financial transaction tax is imposed, this will have a huge impact on the financial services sector and this will mean thousands of job losses. It may not damage other countries as much, but the UK has a large financial services industry. This is the reality of the matter for the UK.

80% of our laws are from the EU. One size fits all does not work, one interest rate, one currency. Red tape on a daily basis, creation of quangos from the EU. Our measurements changed to metric, working time directives, agency workers rights, and environmental directives to name just a few. Of course I understand that some of these laws give greater rights to workers as well as employers but these should be made by the UK government only. This is what is stifling growth, not being flexible to the needs of each country.

I may have voted to stay in with just a trade agreement a long time ago but I now see the EU for what it is.

I would like to hear also how other people feel about remaining in and what parts they enjoy being part of the EU.
    Jan&Steve

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jill View Post
    Does anyone now have a difference of opinion in light of the announcement by Greece regarding their referendum on the bailout?
    Yeah - they've played a bit of a blinder with that today haven't they Jill?

Anyone care to speculate whether Greece will still be a European member state in 12 months time?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandJan View Post
    Keith, that is very childish to say that people who talk against the EU are xenophobic. It isn’t the case. We can all have an open grown up debate about it and we all feel why it is good, or why it isn't good.
    If Paul had put forward some reasoned arguments against UK membership of the EU then fine, let's have an open grown up debate. I already said that this was an interesting discussion on a hugely important topic. I am pro-EU, many are anti, that's the basis for a good discussion. I live in Germany and therefore have perhaps a different viewpoint from many on here, one that I thought was worth stating.

My complaint was against the "they all hate us, they always have and always will" stance taken by Paul. That is just the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, it is patently untrue and (in my opinion) xenophobic.

If that makes me childish, then so be it. You are free to disagree of course.
    Last edited by Sniff; 01-11-2011 at 17:50.
    Keith

wrpac00
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveandJan View Post

I voted no, because the EU is a dictatorship. I don’t see it any different. Directives are churned out on a daily basis telling us what we should do. What happens when the UK loses it’s court case against the EU because they want to relocate our clearing hours from the UK? This will mean huge job losses and revenue but why should the EU tell the UK where it must locate its clearing houses? What would be the next industry to relocate at the request of the EU. That indicates a dictatorship to me, otherwise the UK government would not be taking the EU to court to overturn this. What happens if the UK loses this court case, huge job losses in London. We are wasting money on defending our right to locate our financial clearing houses. If a financial transaction tax is imposed, this will have a huge impact on the financial services sector and this will mean thousands of job losses. It may not damage other countries as much, but the UK has a large financial services industry. This is the reality of the matter for the UK.

80% of our laws are from the EU. One size fits all does not work, one interest rate, one currency. Red tape on a daily basis, creation of quangos from the EU. Our measurements changed to metric, working time directives, agency workers rights, and environmental directives to name just a few. Of course I understand that some of these laws give greater rights to workers as well as employers but these should be made by the UK government only. This is what is stifling growth, not being flexible to the needs of each country.

I may have voted to stay in with just a trade agreement a long time ago but I now see the EU for what it is.

I would like to hear also how other people feel about remaining in and what parts they enjoy being part of the EU.
    Great post.

Shame Keith doesn't talk as much sense as you do.

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    This is getting very tedious now and touching on being personal. Any more of it and I'll reluctantly lock the thread. It's ok to disagree with someone, but let's not get personal as it's totally uncalled for.

Well the first time I could ever vote was on the issue of joining the EU. I voted in favour as this seemed extremely beneficial to us as a nation, although there were many concerns raised by the Commonwealth who used to supply us with quite alot of our food in those days. At no stage do I remember ever voting on Europe becoming a combined state and handing over responsibility for our laws. Whilst I am all for trading made as easy as possible between all European nations, I do think responsibility for our laws should remain in the power of our MPs who are elected officials, and we have the ability to remove if we do not like what they do. We seem to have no come-back against the decisions made and no-one we can vote out of power.
    We buy from Europe and travel frequently there and have found the majority of people to be charming and helpful, who put us to shame with their ability to speak our language so we don't make the effort!
    Fiona

Lets face it, we will never be allowed a vote on the subject of Europe along with a number of other important issues, as the political parties cannot trust us to give the answer they want. You only have to look at the way the rest of them started panicing as soon as the Greeks annouced a possible referendum.

I am afraid we are all regarded as small children by the political classes, as we are clearly incapeable of knowing whats best for ourselves.
    Graham

Gold 5 Star Member
    We do get a vote though Graham - every four or five years. Anyone feeling strongly enough about this could vote UKIP. Very few (relatively speaking) did so at the last election.

There were also two opportunities to vote Labour out of office prior to them signing us up to the Lisbon Treaty; although to be fair they were promising a referendum on it at the time. It's a shame they turned out to be a bunch of liars. It would have been interesting to see how that one would have gone. The economic environment was somewhat different at that time so I wonder if as many people back then would have been so engaged in what was happening?
    Steve

I do agree we get a vote every 4/5 years Steve, but there are so many things rolled into that one vote that you have to go for the least worse, in your opinion, that individual issues get lost.

When it comes to a specific vote on a specific subject they all run scared of letting us loose.
    Graham