Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sat Nav or maps?

Florida Chatterbox
    One quick piece of advice so that you can understand the road signs. The roads will say either North/South or East/West. This can be rather daunting but if you study a map of Florida then you'll know which way to head to.
    On our first trip out of Orlando Intl airport we would take the B-line expressway and then the I4. When you're tired it's confusing when you see a sign for Orlando (East) and Tampa (West). Orlando is for the actual town and most holiday homes are in Kissimmee, so you need to take the Tampa (West) turn off.
    Now we use the South Access route out of airport and look for the Florida Greenway sign (417 - Disneyworld) much easier and quieter for novice drivers to Florida.

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    Having been to Orlando well over 30 times & never used sat nav, on our last trip we took the plunge and bought a sat nav from Walmart. About $115. Well worth it even on the roads we know, its very easy to miss a junction, so it guides you back on track.

We have manafacturers sat nav's in both our cars at home and would'nt be without it.

I do over 30000 miles a year on roads I know very well, but still have it on[msnsmile2] it tells me of upcoming accidents, roadworks, delays etc then suggests ways around them. You cant get that with a paper map!!!!
    mike

The great thing about sat nav is that it tells you which lane to be in - which can be confusing when you are not used to driving along the big highways - and having to look out for the junctions and then where to go from there. In my experience it has saved an awful lot of arguments and stress. You are on holiday so why fall out over something that does not have to be a problem. Particularly after a long flight - you are tired , it could be dark - surely much easier to follow that guiding voice. Want to go to an attraction, shopping or find a restaurant - look it up. Maps give the big stuff but it is often the little things that add to your holiday experience.

Florida Savvy
    One thing I find very useful is if the car has a compass which most do now, as long as you know your north from your south and east from your west it does make life a little easier knowing in what diretion you need to follow.

We only use maps and never get lost. We also use Google maps a lot while preparing for the trip.
    Twice we followed friends who used satnav and got terribly lost. Well, they were lost and we still knew where we were (with a good map on my lap). They ended up following us and we got to the villa without a problem.
    With our map we always know where we came from, where we are at that moment and where we are going to.

Roadsigns are very clear in Florida.

Satnav every time, like everything you never think you need one until you have one and then cannot do without one. Ours has proved itself time and time again, directed us through the middle of Atlanta city in rush hour, just would not live without one.
    If you are planning just to stay round the Orlando/Disney area then everything is well sign posted but if you are thinking of travelling further afield then they are a god send.
    Val

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    [QUOTE=letournerie;686261] Well, they were lost and we still knew where we were (with a good map on my lap).

Thats fine if you have a "co pilot" but if your driving alone, its rather illegal!!!! As I used to see almost daily on our roads drivers trying to read maps while driving[!][!]

Thankfully with the development of Sat Nav its very rare now.
    mike

Florida Expert
    But 'holiday driving' (in our case anyway) is done with whoever you have gone on holiday with so co pilot is sat there with the driver; and several other co pilots looking for signs.