Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat Nav or maps?

Florida Newbie

Sat Nav or maps?

Hi, we're hitting Orlando this coming Saturday and can't wait! We have rented a car from uscarhire and just have a couple of questions related to that.
    My wife has had a last minute panic that the maps and directions we have are not going to be enough and that we're going to end up very lost
    Firstly, do you all think we need sat-nav or are the maps going to be enough? Plus, I know that uscarhire post out the sat-nav, will this arrive in time from your experience?
    Finally, if we were to wait until we get to the Alamo desk, will it be cheaper to buy a sat-nav in walmart rather than rent from them?
    Sorry for so many questions in one!
    Thanks

Florida Expert
    This was the first time we had a sat nav and that was because we were coming up from Miami. We have always only had maps before and never got lost as long as we knew roughly where we were going the signs got us the rest of the way. That said we have driven twice before (with many years in between) before sat navs were available and my husband is a confident driver. So I guess it comes down to how you feel, if you feel happier having it there to help go for it. Sure someone will be able to help re delivery as we borrowed one.

The only other thing I would add is that if you are doing anything out of the ordinary is 1) it was a godsend for that and 2)bit like here it can go amiss. We went to Honeymoon Island (thanks for the tip Babblin Boo because it was a lovely place to go) and sat nav took us to a place, said 'you have reached your destination' and we quite clearly hadn't. Lovely lady in a pet shop said we very close as the crow flies but about half an hour by car! So be warned[msnwink]

Florida Chatterbox
    We have just returned last week and we hired a satnav from here & it was a god send to us, really worth the money.

Super Moderator
    another advantage of hiring a sat nav from here is it will come with your destination address already loaded so all you have to do after a long flight is turn it on and him direct you.

For years we relied on maps and got on fine. However it can only take a wrong turn or two for panic to set in.We now take our own satnav. We do not use it aound Orlando as we know the area well but we do like to take trips to both coasts and feel more confident if the satnav is in the car. We also got lost once coming out of Tampa airport and would have given anything to have had the satnav!
    I guess it is down to personal choice in the end.

We now think satnavs are great. Until we got used to them we found the roads around Disney quite confusing as a lot of them look the same. We now take ours out with us and would hate to be without it when we go to new places.

Lynne
    Lynne

Personally I go for the Sat Nav every time. On our first visit we used maps but found them very poor quality, if you do take a wrong turn and then get caught up in the grid system, you can't do a U turn, and may end up miles away from where you want to be! I still have maps in the car and usually have a good idea of the route, but the Sat Nav does all the work for us. I've had mine for about 7 years now and some of the new roads aren't on the maps, but it still gets us around no bother. Just what you need after a long flight, but remember they are only as good as the person that programmed them. Some of the roads are very long, so say you put in International Drive, with no zip code, you may end up at the wrong end of town.
    Diane.

Florida Expert
    never use a sat nav at home and have never had to use one in Florida either.

usually know where i'm going anyway but if it's somewhere new i check a map beforehand or look at google streetview.

Florida Savvy
    Hello, we used maps for many years and didn't get lost very often - the road signs are usually good. About 3 years ago we bought a satnav in Radio Shack (TomTom for less than $100 with maps for all of the USA - although they are cheaper now) which was brilliant; as well as giving directions, it monitors your speed and lets you know if you are above the limit (it has the speed limits for most roads). It only cost £29.95 to download UK maps when we got home, so we use it regularly, just switching maps when we go to USA. It had the addresses for most tourist attractions and many shops, hotels etc. We wouldn't go without it now and it was much cheaper than hiring one.
    Scorpio

We bought our US sat nav in Walmart (again less than $100) and we love it - I guess if I was just going back and forth to Disney each day then it may not be worth it but if you fancy going anywhere else - even just wandering around and then being able to find you way home they are a God send. As owners we end up going all sorts of places in order to buy something new for our home and as we found the first time we went, roads like Orange Blossom Trail are Very Very long. Timings are also great for gauging when you should leave to be at a particular place on time. If you are going to Florida just once then rent.