Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Zagat Fast Food Survey 2011

Florida Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP View Post
    Dave, this sounds to me like some kind of seaside/holiday dalliance into the world of exotic staplery, I think that we all know fine well where that ends up. mmmh?

Next you'll be going onto websites, reviewing your own stapling experiences, telling others how you've enthralled with this la-dee-da staple or that oop-see-do paper fastner. Next you'll be suggesting alternatives to staples, perhaps even romancing paper clips and treasury tags. It's a slippery slope, I tell you, soon you'll not be able to walk past a stationers without having to peak in the window.

You can quite happily keep your "trying the new staple experiences", thank you very much, I know what I like.
    I love trying new things and would happily try the new coloured staples but.....{shudders} treasury tags.......that's a step too far even for me!!!!

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    The problem i had was the short red ones hurt my thumb when i was pushing them through the papers-i'm more of a loose leaf in a binder sort of guy

Interesting, very interesting!
    Euan

Gold 5 Star Member
    Purely in the interest of research of course, I made time to try a few of the 'winners' that I hadn't been to previously on my last visit. I will call these the KG Survey and don't expect others to agree (or even approve).

RED ROBIN BURGERS

For those who don't know this chain, I'd describe it as a restaurant rather than a Fast Food place. There is waiter service and a full menu which is mostly burgers but there are other choices such as fried chicken and the usual items. The burgers are substantial and come with limitless 'Steak Fries'. The portions are such that I doubt many people will want a fries refill - I certainly didn't.

Very good burgers and lots of options. You can actually design your own combo although I didn't test that.

Overall I liked the place but the fact that it's waiter service (which means the need to tip) and the burgers are fairly pricey to begin with your bill ends up surprisingly high for Burger & Fries.

My score would be 7 out of 10 but I would happily go back another time.

FIVE GUYS

Counter service with a limited choice based mainly on Burgers and Hot Dogs. All the meals are cooked to order so you do wait a few minutes for your food. I don't know if it's common to all the branches but there were sacks of shelled peanuts which you can help yourself to and open/eat while you wait. I thought that was a nice touch.

Because the food is cooked to order, the burgers taste very fresh and were as good as I've had anywhere and better than most and come with good quality fries. The prices were lower than Red Robin and there was no tip to pay so I thought they were much better value and actually better burgers all round.

I will definitely go back there sometime and would give them 9 out of 10.

CHIPOTLE MEXICAN GRILL

I've been meaning to try this place for a while as I've read a lot of good reviews. The problem is that while I am a fan of Mexican food my wife doesn't like it at all. As a result, my opportunities are limited but I did manage 2 short trips last week.

I think there are a few branches in the UK so some might be familiar with it but, if not, it's a bit like Subway where you walk along a line of items and choose what you want on your Taco or Burrito. There are a number of meats and vegetable choices with rice, sour cream and the usual Mexican accompaniments. They also do 'baskets' which are your choice of filling without the wrap part.

Like Five Guys, all the food is fresh and they make a point of it being so. I've had poorer quality food and paid much more in supposedly good Mexican restaurants and it's way better than all the other Mexican fast food places. You can see the meat being grilled behind the servers and they sell so much that the sides have to be replenished all the time.

if you like Mexican food then you'll definitely like this place. Both times I went it was absolutely packed with people of all ages and the service never stops.

Whenever I can escape the shopping trips on future visits or on my own somewhere in the US, I'll be back. 10 out of 10 for me.

Might be interesting to hear other people's views on any of these places.

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    Hi Katys Grandad.

Not done Red Robin or Chipolte, but stumbled across Five Guys a few trips ago now. Definately with you on that one 9/10. We try to make time to get back there at least once during our trips.

Without doubt our best burger when over there. I'm not a great burger fan (unless doing my own at home) but these are very tasty/fresh & we think great value. Always been a que so that tells you all.
    mike

I'm also a Five Guys fan, but will be trying Chipotle Mexican Grill next June without a doubt. Having just read the KG Survey I'm suddenly very hungry !
    Dave.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freddiehollie View Post
    Hi Katys Grandad.

Not done Red Robin or Chipolte, but stumbled across Five Guys a few trips ago now. Definately with you on that one 9/10. We try to make time to get back there at least once during our trips.

Without doubt our best burger when over there. I'm not a great burger fan (unless doing my own at home) but these are very tasty/fresh & we think great value. Always been a que so that tells you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dads_Taxi View Post
    I'm also a Five Guys fan, but will be trying Chipotle Mexican Grill next June without a doubt. Having just read the KG Survey I'm suddenly very hungry !
    Interesting. Are the peanuts at all the branches?

I have also dined at Red Robin . I agree it was an excellent meal and the service was spot on. But for what is a basic burger meal I thought was expensive.
    My favourite for burger dining has to be Ruby Tuesday. The burgers are cooked to order and they have an all you can eat salad bar for a minimal charge .

I haven’t tried Five Guys yet, hopefully I will on our next visit.
    Barbara

Florida Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by luckylady View Post
    I have also dined at Red Robin . I agree it was an excellent meal and the service was spot on. But for what is a basic burger meal I thought was expensive.
    My favourite for burger dining has to be Ruby Tuesday. The burgers are cooked to order and they have an all you can eat salad bar for a minimal charge .

I haven’t tried Five Guys yet, hopefully I will on our next visit.
    Ruby Tuesday is a favourite of ours. We also had a really tasty steak there too

Quote Originally Posted by MTP View Post
    Dave, this sounds to me like some kind of seaside/holiday dalliance into the world of exotic staplery, I think that we all know fine well where that ends up. mmmh?

Next you'll be going onto websites, reviewing your own stapling experiences, telling others how you've enthralled with this la-dee-da staple or that oop-see-do paper fastner. Next you'll be suggesting alternatives to staples, perhaps even romancing paper clips and treasury tags. It's a slippery slope, I tell you, soon you'll not be able to walk past a stationers without having to peak in the window.

You can quite happily keep your "trying the new staple experiences", thank you very much, I know what I like.
    You people are mad, mad, mad ...... very funny though......

(For those with an addiction, I have seen some glittery staples and some flurescent paper clips if anyone is interested !!! [msnwink] nudge, nudge, wink, wink)
    Last edited by kitch50; 15-10-2011 at 22:19.
    Wendy