Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spending money for Florida

Florida Newbie

Spending money for Florida

Hi, my wife and I are going to Orlando on September 17th, 18 days!!!
    I have a question about the spending money we would need for a two week trip. We will be eating at the likes of Manny's, TGI's, Carribean Breeze and restaurants of that type. We will definately be hitting the shops, on numerous occasions! We would buy a fair amount, you're talking several pairs of shoes, abercrombie clothes, clinique make-up: the whole 9 yards.
    I have $3750 at the minute, but was wondering if you think I should take more?
    We have villa and car rental already paid, as well attraction tickets. The money would be purley, eating/drinking, shopping and entertainment.

Thanks

Gold 5 Star Member
    Have you not got a credit card? or a debit card?

Americans pay for their coffee at Starbucks with plastic.

It is only the Brits who get hung up about taking foreign currency and TC's abroad - like my parents used to do!!

I have never met an American coming to this country who brings more than a few pounds - they get anything else they need on plastic, as most of us do!!

Gold 5 Star Member
    Sounds like more than enough to have a great time and it would be plenty for my spending pattern but I suppose it all depends upon how much you intend to spend on your shopping.

I don't know how long it is since you were in the US but, with a few exceptions, the days when everything cost a fraction of things here are long gone so you might find that you do less shopping than you think you will.

Gold 5 Star Member
    What youu could do as a back up is to apply for something like a Fairfx card (a prepaid Mastercard - so you cant spend more than you intend) , you could just load something like $100 on it with the knowledge that if you need to top it up you can do so online from your UK bank account. To be honest I think you have more than enough for 2 people, obviously I know spending money is as long as a piece of string (although we'd all rather it was elastic and stretched further), you can spend infinitely and still feel there was more you could buy. You are taking the sensible approach though and budgeting before you go rather than face a big bill when you come back as it's so easy to forget how much you are spending when you put it all on plastic.
    Babblin Boo

Trevor, you've got more than enough. Have a great time, live like royalty, and prepare to pay excess baggage fees on the way home if you really spend all that! (don't forget the tax implications either)
    Dave.

I would say you will have more than enough money for all your needs. You will need a credit card when you pick up your hire car so just make sure you have a healthly credit limit in case of emergencies!!!!

Florida Newbie
    Hi all, thanks for all the replies and advice. I'm thinking, based on general opinion, that the money is going to be enough and don't plan on taking any more. Think I will also take my post office credit card with me, just incase.
    What do you all think of the fair fx card? Is it good to use in shops? If we do want to withdraw money, what is the max we can withdraw?
    Thanks again in advance

Florida Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert5988 View Post
    Have you not got a credit card? or a debit card?

Americans pay for their coffee at Starbucks with plastic.

It is only the Brits who get hung up about taking foreign currency and TC's abroad - like my parents used to do!!

I have never met an American coming to this country who brings more than a few pounds - they get anything else they need on plastic, as most of us do!!
    As we do at home but it's not about being hung up on currency/tc's. It's about keeping in budget and not coming home to a bill. We take a $150 (on a normal park day) and that is what we have to spend - when it's gone it's gone. Invariably we don't spend all of it and at the end we have a bit of a shopping spree and a special meal on the last night.

Quote Originally Posted by sammibabe View Post
    As we do at home but it's not about being hung up on currency/tc's. It's about keeping in budget and not coming home to a bill. We take a $150 (on a normal park day) and that is what we have to spend - when it's gone it's gone. Invariably we don't spend all of it and at the end we have a bit of a shopping spree and a special meal on the last night.
    Definitely with you on this one Sam. We could be the same family !!!
    Wendy

Florida Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch50 View Post
    Definitely with you on this one Sam. We could be the same family !!!
    Ha ha I have noticed we seem to be on the same wavelength [msnwink]