Quote Originally Posted by No Shoes View Post
I am bumping this thread up the listing again as I am staying nearly 6 months this winter and the car hire is the biggest cost of the whole trip.
I did investigate insurance and found someone who would cover me. It was however for 6 months at a time but you still had to keep it current for the whole year to cover the car while it was parked.
What other costs are involved? I understand you have to 'buy tags' does anyone have experience of this as a non resident?
Does anyone keep a car that is not in a garage?

Thanks
We don't keep ours in a garage, it's left on the driveway and we drop the insurance down to the minimum when we leave.

Make sure whoever you got an insurance quote from is fully aware it is a British license and get them to double check again. I know one or two owners who have been quoted only to find down the line they weren't covered without a US license. There are very few auto insurance companies who actually offer insurance for British license holders. We initially had insurance with State Farm and we informed them it was a British license and they said no problem. However, a month later they wrote to us, cancelled the insurance and said they'd made a mistake, they don't insure British driving licenses.

We've had our insurance with Progressive through Florida Chartered Insurance for about 4 years now, so compare a quote with them.

No problem getting the tags, we just renew online every 2 years. It's due annually on the birth date of the car owner.