Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Hire V Car Purchase

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester

Car Hire V Car Purchase

Does anyone know have any idea how many weeks per year you would need spend in Florida to make it cheaper to own a car rather than rent one.
    Lyn

Gold 5 Star Member
    This was discussed in this current thread:

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums...342-Snow-Birds

Florida Savvy
    Maybe we need to have the 'Snowbirds' thread moved over to the Extended Stay Forum?

Dont know if this is possible......

I for one would be interested to keep this subject going so that we capture up to date information. We are considering buying a car when we are there in October/November....

However just looked at cost of 3 month rental (from link on here) from January onwards and it was less than I thought!
    Last edited by No Shoes; 27-08-2011 at 10:00.

The reason I postd the question here is it is more suited to here than in 'New Forum Suggestions'.
    Lyn

Florida Savvy
    Is it possible we can revisit this question again, now that significant time has passed?

I have just booked car hire for 7 weeks October/December this year. I now need to book for 9 weeks Jan/April 2013. I sure feel like it is costing me significant amounts of money

Would anyone mind sharing the details of how much it now costs to maintain a car in Florida?

Thanks in advance..........

Wok on the same costs as the UK and hou should find it costs you less. Insurance can be expensive. It also depends how much you shell out on a vehicle and what vehicle you buy.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Is it possible to get better car rental rates for longer periods? I've never been able to find that although it's been a while since I last looked.

Florida Savvy
    I too have tried to find rentals for longer periods but have been unsuccessful.

Alamo have been the best with their 56 day limit. However that still requires 1 or 2 changes each trip. Above that I am told it is a 'lease' but the only leases I can find are a years minimum.

Maybe when I am there this winter I need to go into a couple of 'car lots' and ask if they offer anything.

Unless anyone has any different information????

Florida Savvy
    I am bumping this thread up the listing again as I am staying nearly 6 months this winter and the car hire is the biggest cost of the whole trip.
    I did investigate insurance and found someone who would cover me. It was however for 6 months at a time but you still had to keep it current for the whole year to cover the car while it was parked.
    What other costs are involved? I understand you have to 'buy tags' does anyone have experience of this as a non resident?
    Does anyone keep a car that is not in a garage?

Thanks

We did buy a car and find it much better than hiring, however ours is in the garage when we are not there so the insurance is much less then (it is still much more expensive than the UK) You will still need to hire a car to get you from the airport, but that is still cheaper than a taxi. We are glad we bought but it ma not be for everyone
    Lyn