Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you holiday on a budget?

OK, here is how my budget is planned for five adults - three grown up kids, me & the boss .
    Food = £120 pp. This covers our supermarket shopping and eating out for breakkfasts most of the days.
    Parking = £30 pp.
    Fuel = £52.50 pp.
    It is up to each person how much they take for spending. But out of this will come daily meals/snacks in the parks, drinks, etc. eating out at night if we choose, night time entertainment (drinks & meals), and shopping. The boss & I usually take a lot more than necessary as we may do some XMAS shopping, and also end up subsidising the big kids anyway. But it will work out at about $200 per day for the boss, and about $300 per day for myself.

Gold 5 Star Member
    we budget because we go to FL a lot..we use about $40 a day for the two of us for food ..then we spend about $40 on a meal once or twice this is an extra..in hot weather we take in a large drink to the parks and may have to add $10 for cold drinks..for a week we spend about $60 in the supermarket..we do own our house in FL but we don't keep any food there..we don't spend on stuff because I think we own everything they sell in Orlando anyway we go so much...lol

Florida Expert
    I am known to be a bit of a tight wad at home, so the same principles come with me on holiday. I hunt for vouchers for meals out . We always have starters OR pudding - free refills are great as we only have one round of drinks when we eat out at home.
    Try not to over order in restaurants . For example we love Chevy's Nachos, but cannot eat them as a starter and have fajitas for main, so we go on two occasions and have nacho's for lunch one day and fajitas for dinner another. If you do overorder - do ask for a box to take it home for tomorrows lunch.

At the supermarket buy what's on offer and build your meals around that.

We take all food and drink into the parks, maybe buy the occasional drink or ice cream. We eat out quite a few times, but good easy meals can be done at home with a cooked chicken and salad from publix, pizza, barbecue etc. low effort meals.

Even from a young age the children had their own spending money so when its gone its gone. Explaining to children how budgetting works will help them to understand what trade-offs need to be made.

Whilst i would love to say yes to everyone all holiday , its not realistic - you have to cut your cloth according to your budget . I would rather go often and watch the pennies than have a ' holiday of a lifetime' but only go once.
    Jo