Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snow Birds

Florida Expert
    Sarah, we've had the GEICO policy for 2 years now. All they asked us to do when we took it out was to get a Florida Licence within a month of taking the policy out. What a shame if they've stopped being so accommodating!
    Shirley

http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1428.aspx

Hmm, it seems policies may have changed quite recently then. We bought our car last November and all the companies we spoke to then mentioned the 3 consecutive year thing, so we had to insure under our UK license. However, I will try again when we get back in a few months and will report back.

I said earlier in this thread that we did get a policy with State Farm under our US licenses but they cancelled it. I just checked back emails and it was actually GEICO that cancelled, not State Farm.
    Sarah

Just out of interest has anyone looked at the cost of hiring a car for a 6 month period compared to depreciation, servicing, insurance on their own vehicle?
    Maureen Green

Florida Savvy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Green View Post
    Just out of interest has anyone looked at the cost of hiring a car for a 6 month period compared to depreciation, servicing, insurance on their own vehicle?
    I keep doing this comparison but its difficult to be exact with no definite figures to work on. When I used figures offered in the US car magazines (available online) the break even was around the 3 month mark. Obviously it depends on many factors, such as whether you have to borrow the money to buy the car, your insurance record, how many miles you drive a year etc

I would be interested in any findings that others have.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Shoes View Post
    I keep doing this comparison but its difficult to be exact with no definite figures to work on. When I used figures offered in the US car magazines (available online) the break even was around the 3 month mark. Obviously it depends on many factors, such as whether you have to borrow the money to buy the car, your insurance record, how many miles you drive a year etc

I would be interested in any findings that others have.
    A major factor for me in insuring a car was the level of the liability insurance. A death or injury claim at the level of expenses that can be awarded in the USA needs to be covered.

However for me it was the sheer hassle of owning a car that made me conclude that hire cars were the way to go. 20 weeks for around £2500 for the smallest car( compact is the smallest in Florida). That gets you to and from airport each time, no worries about repairs, insurance, registering car etc

Thanks for the information. We are not in the position to look at staying 3 or 6 months at the moment but think we would agree with Robert that the hassle and concern over insurance would make us choose hiring over owning. We have been very pleased with the cars from this site and would be quite happy to drive any of them for a few months.
    Maureen Green

Florida Savvy
    Returning to my original post ........

Any decision on whether a Snow Bird thread is a possability?

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Think this would be a great thread, from the replies on hear it would seem to be a much needed thread.
    Lyn

We have had a car for 10 years in Florida, we usually stay for two periods of around 7/8 weeks at a time, but have stayed for 3 months. We have Fl driving licences and yes you do have to renew each time as you only get them now for the period of your visa - which if you have a B1/B2 visa will be for 6 months. We have our car insurance with State Farm and we only pay full comprehensive for the period we are in Florida and then just pay the minimum legal insurance while we are away, which works out at around $30/40 per month. While it is on full comprehensive we pay about $90 per month.

Travel insurance is from Lloyds TSB with our Gold Current account which cost us £12 per month and of course includes all the other extras with the account. Annual insurance is only for up to 31 days per trip, but for about £60 you can increase this to 45 days and for £90 to 3 months. We have never had problems with either our car or travel insurance.

We do have a Social Security number which thankfully we got before 9/11 when it became almost impossible to get this.

We have not tried single one way flights, but we usually get flights that we can change for a small charge if we decide to stay longer. We know friends who use re-positioning cruises to and from the UK rather than fly, it gives you an extra holiday. We are thinking of trying it, but perhaps only one way and use loyalty points for the other leg of the journey.

Andrena

Florida Savvy
    Another subject to add to what I hope will become a new forum..........[]

Has anyone looked into having a subsciption to satelite radio in a car - hire or otherwise? I would love to be able to listen to Radio Margaritaville when we are stateside but dont want to have to pay a full year and only use less than half of it!