Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snow Birds

Quote Originally Posted by No Shoes View Post
    I am keen to buy a car but on every website I go to to get a quote for insurance they want either social security number or other information that I dont have. I was told State Farm would insure UK nationals but it is impossible to get a quote online.
    We found not many of the insurance companies would deal with overseas visitors online or over the phone, so as mentioned above, you are far better finding an agent/broker who is used to dealing with overseas visitors. Let me know if you would like details of the agents we use.

We did initially get a policy by going direct to State Farm, but they wrote to us after a month and said they had made a mistake as they didn't deal with overseas license holders and cancelled our policy.
    Sarah

We have our own car in USA and have been insured with State Farm for the past 18 years. When the car is not in use (we normally visit 4 times a year for a month or so) it goes onto 'vacation' insurance. We have always had US Licenses but of course it has been a pain since 911 as we have to renew them quite frequently which is costly. We can drive on our UK licence for 30 days with State Farm, but I am going to ask them about this when over next time as I want to confirm if this is correct after learning of others who don't have this restriction. It is not a cheap option to have your own car in Florida but it depends on each persons circumstances.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Another consideration for myself is that my place is 60 miles from Orlando, and getting to and from the airport when arriving/leaving is a pain. It would be OK to ask friends one or twice a year - but not more. It is even a consideration for those living some way from MCO - taxis are expensive.

As said earlier, my brother who lives in the USA could 'own' my car and insure it with State Farm, and I could drive on a UK licence all the time(so the agent stated); which makes a nonsense of your restrictions.

wrpac00
    Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    Is that a single 3 month visit? If so, then that's much less than I'd imagined for such a long stay.

Insurers being what they are, I wonder what limitations there are on people who own a property abroad and habitually spend several months a year in it using travel policies? At some point you can see a claims handler questioning whether you're actually a temporary resident rather than just another traveller.
    We are insured for upto 100 days on a single visit.

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    This thread seems to be turning into the advantages/disadvantages of owning a car in Florida. This would be a perfect thread within a forum for Snow Birds/Extended stays, which was the original suggestion by No Shoes.
    Lyn

Florida Expert
    We have been snowbirds for a few years now - spending 5-6 months in Florida.

We have our own car there, and also a Florida Driving Licence. We insure the car through GEICO and it costs around $600 for the 6 months we are there and $200 for the 6 months when it's tucked away in the garage and unused. To that you need to add the cost of the Florida Driving Licence - about $60 per person - but as long as the combined total is less than the cost of insuring with your UK licence (which we think it is) then it's worth the hassle of getting the licence renewed each time we go out. We haven't had any problem achieving this despite the Florida licence only lasting for the length of our stay each time.

We have travel insurance through Insure and Go, and that comes to about £260 (for two of us) for a 5 month stay. There aren't many companies who insure for such a long stay, but there are a few. It's important for the medical cover, much more than any other reason.

Happy to help with any further questions. Please PM me if you would like any further details.
    Shirley

http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1428.aspx

Florida Savvy
    Quote Originally Posted by SG View Post
    We have been snowbirds for a few years now - spending 5-6 months in Florida.

We have our own car there, and also a Florida Driving Licence. We insure the car through GEICO and it costs around $600 for the 6 months we are there and $200 for the 6 months when it's tucked away in the garage and unused. To that you need to add the cost of the Florida Driving Licence - about $60 per person - but as long as the combined total is less than the cost of insuring with your UK licence (which we think it is) then it's worth the hassle of getting the licence renewed each time we go out. We haven't had any problem achieving this despite the Florida licence only lasting for the length of our stay each time.

We have travel insurance through Insure and Go, and that comes to about £260 (for two of us) for a 5 month stay. There aren't many companies who insure for such a long stay, but there are a few. It's important for the medical cover, much more than any other reason.

Happy to help with any further questions. Please PM me if you would like any further details.
    Thank you very much for this. We also use Insure and Go and are happy with them and the cost.

Re: the car situation. Did you approach Geico direct or via a broker?

Thanks for all your help

Florida Savvy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
    This thread seems to be turning into the advantages/disadvantages of owning a car in Florida. This would be a perfect thread within a forum for Snow Birds/Extended stays, which was the original suggestion by No Shoes.
    Thanks for the support. I assume 'the powers that be' will let us know if they feel it is a suitable idea for a new Forum?

Florida Expert
    We approached GEICO directly and didn't use a broker.
    Shirley

http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1428.aspx

Shirley, is this a policy you have had for some time and just renew, or a new policy you took out recently? When we were looking last winter, every insurance company (including Geico) told us you had to have had the FL License for a minimum of 3 consecutive years which, as a visa holder, is impossible for us. We've had our licenses since 2007, but not consecutively.

It will be interesting to speak to other insurance companies when we get back in November if you have managed to get a policy fairly recently so any info appreciated.
    Sarah