Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I drive from JFK Airport or Newark to Florida

Quote Originally Posted by kitch50 View Post
    I would be inclined to get a yellow cab from JFK,
    The only problem with a yellow cab is the lack of space. The cab will need to take 2 adults 2 children and luggage for a three week trip. Yes you could possibly squeeze it all in but it's not the best way to arrive in New York.

Dave
    Dave Lewis

Just checked my records and the service we have used the last time we were in New York is from

http://www.dial7.com/

Picked us up at the airport no problems and was waiting in reception at the agreed time ready to take us to the airport.

A town car (bigger than a normal sedan) is $53 to either airport, however you need to add any tolls (bridges/tunnels) to this, plus a tip for the driver.

Regards Dave
    Dave Lewis

Gold 5 Star Member
    I suspect 4 passengers and luggage for that trip would need a minivan - most limo companies wouldn't allow 4 passengers and their luggage in a Town Car.

Florida Expert
    We don't mind arriving at either JFK or Newark, but if you're staying at an airport hotel I would choose Newark. To see the sights of New York you can use the train into Penn Station and to drive south it is easier than from JFK. Shopping in New Jersey is cheaper as they don't have so many taxes to add on as in New York.

You could drive to Philadelphia and spend a few nights there - lots of US history to see/learn about and then drive on south to Washington DC. Again another city with lots to see. If you stay a little outside eg Alexandria or Arlington, you can park the car at the hotel and catch the metro into town. (Driving into Washington DC at night to see the buildings lit up is worth doing, especially if you like photography).

Driving further south I am sure you'll find many interesting places to stopover. I don't think I'd drive back - a domestic flight back to NYC would be my choice. We've had some great trips and seen lots of places.

Super Moderator
    We did this route in reverse last year and spent some time in the Historic Triangle of Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown very well done and really interesting.

Florida Expert
    Hi last year, we went to NY fo a week and then to Washington where after a few days we picked up our car from Washington airport (Alamo) and drove to Florida but we went via Blue Ridge and took three weeks to go to Florida. We went by bus from NY to Washington as we didn't need the car there either, the bus was brill and we then got a taxi to the airport. We checked the exact one way drop off with US car hire who in turn contacted Alamo and it was cheaper than the Web price.

We picked up a hire car from Newark back in April. Had the same issue as you trying to do a one way trip and found it was surprisingly difficult to book from central Manhattan to Boston, so ended up booking from Newark. The concierge at the hotel in Manhattan organised a limo for I think about USD50 including tip. It may even have been quite a bit less than that, it certainly wasn't any more. This was for 5 of us and luggage in a stretch. You may notice slightly elderly looking limos hanging around the hotels -usually they have an arrangement with the hotel employees.
    Tonish