Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: International Driving Permit

International Driving Permit

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has an International Driving Permit for their trip to Florida?

I got the weekly email today from Martin's Money Tips and they were highlighting the fact that a IDP is required/recommended in some countries.

The AA website says the following for USA

"IDP recommended as, in the event of an accident, some insurance companies will insist on seeing one. Additionally those licences which do not incorporate a photograph need to be accompanied by photographic proof of identity."

Anyone got any thoughts/experiences?

Thanks
    Julie

We have only ever used a normal British driving licence, and we still have the old paper ones, not one of the new ones with photos. We have never had any trouble using them.
    ellie

You are fine with a UK license. Plus with int permit they are only valid with a full license.

Been coming to Florida since 1992 and never been asked for one. Your regular licence will be fine - unless it is not in English.

Administrator
    You only need an International driving license for the USA if your license is not written in the English language.

We always take both the photo license and paper copies with us .... always been fine.
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by ellie View Post
    We have only ever used a normal British driving licence, and we still have the old paper ones, not one of the new ones with photos. We have never had any trouble using them.
    If you still use the old style UK licence you will need to carry some form of photo I.D. also.

Dave

Thanks everyone.

JW

You wil have photo ID with your Passport anyway, you can't travel without it.

Andrena

wrpac00
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieW View Post
    Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has an International Driving Permit for their trip to Florida?

I got the weekly email today from Martin's Money Tips and they were highlighting the fact that a IDP is required/recommended in some countries.

The AA website says the following for USA

"IDP recommended as, in the event of an accident, some insurance companies will insist on seeing one. Additionally those licences which do not incorporate a photograph need to be accompanied by photographic proof of identity."

Anyone got any thoughts/experiences?

Thanks
    Julie
    Lesson to be learnt here, don't believe everything you read.