Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: APD Tax - Hands off our holidays!

Florida Expert
    surprise, surprise, mine hasn't either but that's nothing new with her

Florida Chatterbox
    I had a reply from my MP stating he had referred my concerns to the Treasury and then a further reply enclosing a letter from Justine Greening which said:

"Thank you for your letter of 28 July to George Osborne enclosing correspondence from your constituent Mr Ian Bramley about Air Passenger Duty (APD). I am replying as the Minister responsible for this policy area.

As you may be aware, the Government has been keen to hear views on APD from the public and industry. Budget 2011 announced the launch of a consultation on the future structure of APD. The APD consultation ran until Friday 17 June 2011 and set out proposals for simplifying the current banding system and plans to extend APD to passengers aboard business jets, currently exempt from APD. The Government will consider the views and evidence submitted dy interested parties and publish a summary of responses in the autumn.

Some of the disparity Mr Bramley points to is in part due to a comparison of a family of four on current APD rates, against solitary travellers in other countries. Additionally it represents a partial picture, as some other countries charge VAT on air travel which we do not in the UK. The rate for more than 75% of passenger journeys is £12, which is the rate for economy travel within Band A (Europe and North Africa).

I understand how important these issues are for families and businesses and it is helpful to get your Mr Bramley's views.

Please pass on my thanks to Mr Bramley for taking the troble to make us aware of these concerns"

Doesn't look like anything is going to change but at least a reply from my MP and the Treasury.

Florida Chatterbox
    Done!!!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurel Oak View Post
    Some of the disparity Mr Bramley points to is in part due to a comparison of a family of four on current APD rates, against solitary travellers in other countries. Additionally it represents a partial picture, as some other countries charge VAT on air travel which we do not in the UK. The rate for more than 75% of passenger journeys is £12, which is the rate for economy travel within Band A (Europe and North Africa).

Think there is some smoke and mirrors here by our good politicians - see the following article published earlier this year:

NEW plans to impose VAT on all flights from British and European Union airports could increase the cost of air travel by a fifth.
    Currently all air and sea travel is exempt from VAT within the EU but a green paper, published last month, has recommended VAT be levied on all air and sea transport.

The proposal, which is now being considered by the European Commission, could see the cost of flights, ferry tickets and cruises increase by up to 20 per cent.
    If proposals are given the green light, it would make air travel more expensive for passengers, who are already subject to Air Passenger Duty.

Florida Chatterbox
    Done, lets hope this helps!!

Gold 5 Star Member
    Some positive news on this today - from 2013 no APD will be payable on long-haul flights from Belfast.

Obviously a bit of a unique situation because so many NI people are using Dublin (where there's never been APD) so Belfast struggles to compete.

Jobdone ,but if the SNP get there way in2014 Scotland will sail away into oblivian .