Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Gluten Free stuff

Florida Expert

Gluten Free stuff

I was wondering if anyone knew of sonewhere that we would be able to buy gf cakes, biscuits etc whilst there to save taking with us (and rice milk). Last time we went we had directions to a shop that sold gf but we were unable to find it. Hopefully have more succcess as we will have a sat nav this time. Also if need to take rice milk are tetra packs ok in suitcases in the hold? Thanks

Sorry, don't know about GF, but do know that rice milk is available in Publix.....
    OMG !!! If you put Tetrapak(s) in hold luggage, you're risking ALL your holiday clothes !!!!
    Airline baggage handlers aren't the gentlest of beasts at the best of times & them, + your bags being at the bottom of the heap + low cabin pressure, are a recipe for certain disaster......

Florida Expert
    My favourite place for GF is whiolefoods market on Sand Lake Road.

You'll find GF muffins, cupcakes,waffles, pancakes cookies really good quality unlike anything available here - they are frozen so stock up for the trip if you are in a villa.

You'll also pick up odd bits at Publix - cookies , pancake mix and the corn tortillas are really good too which are with the mexican stuff.

Publix have a list of their own label GF items on their website - you must have a New York Cheesecake.

Restaurants with a proper printed GF menu include Uno ( including pizza), Carrabas, Outback ( Chocolate Thunder from Down Under dessert is the best!), Chevys. Villa de Flora is a posh buffet but will walk you through it and make special items for you on request. You can even phone ahead the day before and they will ensure they have their mudcake which is GF on the menu for that day.

We feel so spoilt when we go to Florida - eating GF there is easy. Enjoy - but expect to diet on your return!
    Jo

Florida Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by msmiff View Post
    Sorry, don't know about GF, but do know that rice milk is available in Publix.....
    OMG !!! If you put Tetrapak(s) in hold luggage, you're risking ALL your holiday clothes !!!!
    Airline baggage handlers aren't the gentlest of beasts at the best of times & them, + your bags being at the bottom of the heap + low cabin pressure, are a recipe for certain disaster......
    I was wondering about the pressure hence the question but as they sell it in Publix I won't have to take it. Took it before but can't remember what I did with it.

Thanks for the gf advice Jo. Diets won't be needed on return as it is my eldest daughter and she can eat anything without consequence to her waist line it would seem!! I must admit eating out has always been a lot easier over there than here but thanks for the restaurant tips

Florida Expert
    You can buy plenty of food and rice milk at Chamberlains but basically it's the same as at home. Stuff is available in Walmart and Publix. Target also, you have to read the labels. What we normally do is take pittas, pasta and pizza bases in the luggage and buy all the other stuff when we get there. Outback do a GF menu, Carabbas is fantastic for coeliacs/lactose intolerants etc. Lots of variation. Also you can eat at TGI, Hourihans etc. At Disneyworld if you are going, Hollywood studios do GF pizzas at pizza planet takeaway and you can eat in at most Disney Restaurants if you let them know in advance. Some people may disagree but I'd say avoid Olive Garden if you are a coeliac. Whilst they may say they can adapt a menu, it's not safe. They do not realise that you can't use bastes or flour. We were also disappointed with Boma from a Coeliacs point of view in comparison to other places. Universal Hard Rock Cafe are anxious to please and can safely adapt menus for coeliacs.

Florida Newbie
    As a coeliac I was dreading any theme park ... have to say that Universal Studios was appalling in their attitude to you can't have this, or this, or this ... whereas WDW (Brenda) whom I emailed and was given fantastic booklets about gluten free eating within WDW was an absolute JOY! You will have no problems with GF in WDW or the majority of restaurants in Orlando. I usually contact them ahead and ask.

Florida Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by lynneharvey View Post
    As a coeliac I was dreading any theme park ... have to say that Universal Studios was appalling in their attitude to you can't have this, or this, or this ... whereas WDW (Brenda) whom I emailed and was given fantastic booklets about gluten free eating within WDW was an absolute JOY! You will have no problems with GF in WDW or the majority of restaurants in Orlando. I usually contact them ahead and ask.
    We have always found WDW fantastic. How did you get the booklets? Sounds like they would be useful for us

Florida Newbie
    I got them from Brenda at WDW ...I could send them to you if you let me know an email address ...

Florida Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by lynneharvey View Post
    I got them from Brenda at WDW ...I could send them to you if you let me know an email address ...
    Have pm'd you, thank you very much, appreciated