Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Search function - Am I missing something?

Search function - Am I missing something?

I'm not having much success using the Search function, is there a trick to this? I know sometimes search boxes require the search string in quotes or, as per my company site, enclosed by % signs. Any tips gratefully received.
    Dave.

I think there was a 'problem' with the new forum software. The search function worked in a different way to the current one.

I think it will be changed but the last time I tested it was looking for ALL the words in your search not just some of them. (it was using an AND search not an OR search)

However if you put fewer words in and they are more common then you get too many hits. The only suggestion I have at the moment is to try and search with the minimum number of words possible that might find your post.

If you want to post what you are looking for we can always try to help.

Regards Dave
    Dave Lewis

John/Roger

OK, Can I bump this thread and ask How the search function now works.

================================================== =====

I have done a few tests which have not proved conclusive other than the fact that the results I get are strange.

Any post that are 'older' seem to be missing from the search even though they are still on the forum.

As an example I can go to a post I made 6 months ago enter part of the title in the search box (unique words) and it tells me nothing has been found.

If you enter just the word QUIZ then it find two threads not the many it should.

A couple of people have had problems finding threads and posted about it and I'm guessing that a lot more have not posted and given up.

If it is working OK then maybe it's working in a non-obvious way and needs explanation.

Regards Dave
    Dave Lewis

....... Search Function has been Updated .......

If you have had problems with the search function they should now fixed as an update has been completed.

Regards Dave
    Dave Lewis

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    You beat me to it Dave. I've just re-built the search indexes from scratch and it looks to be doing what it should now.

if you find anything that still does not look quite right, can you post the search you are trying to make and give details of what you were expecting to see in the results, so I can investigate it.

Gents, many thanks, I was becoming quite frustrated with my inability to search for anything. It seems to be working fine now.

Cheers
    Dave.