Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few questions

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for the replies everyone and some great advice.
    I'm glad that clearing Immagration in Dublin is as I had hoped, just be so much easier at the other end. All I want to do is get on the road and head towards the villa!
    In relation to the car hire, I went through roger and uscarhire. I'm sure that some of you have used uscarhire before, is it possible to register for the 'fast pass' with them?
    Just about to apply for Post Office credit card now, thanks again for all the help.

Fast pass will depend on the supplier you choose for car hire. If you went for 'dollar' then you can sign up for fast pass with them directly. Oncw you get your fast pass account number send it on too Roger so he can apply it to your booking voucher.

Trevor

if your car hire is thru Alamo you can use Alamo Save Time Save Time allows you to save time at the rental counter by providing driver profile information online and you will receive a confirmation number by email. Renters can also add additional drivers information, select insurance options, child seats, GPS units and fuel options. When you arrive in Orlando then you go to the kiosk and enter the confirmation number follow a few instructions on the screen and away you go - NO queueing - brilliant

Judy

Must say I am very surprised about being able to clear customs in another Country than their own as I always find customs in America quite strick. Hold up my hand !!!

Val

As far as customs is concerned you should try being married to a farmer then - we always say we are farmers as I am sure they know that already - but they always check our bags for all the seeds and producethat we are likely to bring with us (NOT). We have no livestock and I do not work on the farm but they are sure our soil is contaminated somehow. My question is who is checking those people who go out in their gardens? It may take a little longer but at least we are being honest with them - would hate to be barred from entry into the US for that or any other reason.
    PS Friend has a son who lives in Miami and he loves Oxo cubes - they were banned too as a beef product.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanmd View Post
    As far as customs is concerned you should try being married to a farmer then - we always say we are farmers as I am sure they know that already - but they always check our bags for all the seeds and producethat we are likely to bring with us (NOT). We have no livestock and I do not work on the farm but they are sure our soil is contaminated somehow. My question is who is checking those people who go out in their gardens? It may take a little longer but at least we are being honest with them - would hate to be barred from entry into the US for that or any other reason.
    PS Friend has a son who lives in Miami and he loves Oxo cubes - they were banned too as a beef product.
    It works the other way around for me. I own a farm, thus tick the box on the form. They always stop us, but NEVER go through our luggage, just ask if we are wearing the same shoes as we use on the farm, which is not the case. Then we're free to go. I always bring foie gras and duck confit with me and never know if I'm allowed to as the rules seem to be variable about those. By ticking the "farm" box I've always gone through customs like a breeze... of course I've probably jinxed it now[msnscared].

Florida Newbie
    Another question, again on a different topic! I was thinking about booking discovery cove, which I have done before and loved it. We just aren't totally sure on doing it this time for a few different reasons. But if we changed our mind during the holiday, what are the chances of us getting a ticket? Will it be better value as it be short notice and booked locally? We are going in mid September. Thanks

Florida Savvy
    Quote Originally Posted by lafifille View Post
    It works the other way around for me. I own a farm, thus tick the box on the form. They always stop us, but NEVER go through our luggage, just ask if we are wearing the same shoes as we use on the farm, which is not the case. Then we're free to go. I always bring foie gras and duck confit with me and never know if I'm allowed to as the rules seem to be variable about those. By ticking the "farm" box I've always gone through customs like a breeze... of course I've probably jinxed it now[msnscared].
    I also always travel with tins of Duck confit - an american friend has a real craving for it :-) the advice I was given by customs was to check that it does not contain Pork or beef fat! (You can tell he wasnt french). Apparently there is no issue with the duck/goose but the problem arises when things like pate are packed in fat from pigs or cows.

Quote Originally Posted by No Shoes View Post
    I also always travel with tins of Duck confit - an american friend has a real craving for it :-) the advice I was given by customs was to check that it does not contain Pork or beef fat! (You can tell he wasnt french). Apparently there is no issue with the duck/goose but the problem arises when things like pate are packed in fat from pigs or cows.
    Foie gras is the main issue. Every time I try to get the information, they never seem to agree on it being allowed or not, and the rules seem to change from one state to another. I stick to canned foie gras (no glass containers), with all the proper veterinary stamps and dates, and take my chances. The worst that could happen is having it confiscated I guess.

Pork fat in foie gras, unfortunately I'm pretty sure it can happen with the cheap stuff [}].