Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions

Florida Newbie

A few questions

Hi everyone, just a few different questions to ask please!

Firstly, we'll be flying from Dublin with Aer Lingus and I know in T2 you can go through immigration and customs. Does this mean that we can literally walk through at Orlando airport and just collect luggage? I know there is one customs form to be completed on the plane.

I have also completed the API and ESTA forms, is there anything else we need to do?

I note that the car hire requires a credit card as secuity, does this credit card need to be solely in their name? We have a shared credit card account, but each have our own card for this account.

Finally, potentially stupid question as sure the answer is yes! I have never noticed any currency exchange places in Orlando, probably as I was never looking. But does anyone know anywhere that usually does good rates?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure there is such a thing as a good exchange rate as it is a variable transaction. However, do some searching on Google or whatever you use. Personally, I prefer to exchange before we go. Lots of places in the UK, M&S, holiday shops, Post Office, banks.

Ref car hire, I would presume any credit card with the holder present.

Any airport where you "do" immigration before flying means the flight should be classed as an internal flight in the US and yes, you can just collect your luggage and walk through the airport. Haven't been on the Aer Lingus flight, someone who has will post soon I would have thought.

Have a good trip.
    Regards, Mark

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    The exchange rates I have seen over there have always been worse than here. You will only need to show one credit card, Bill always uses his card, in the past this was a 2nd card on an account in my name, never had a problem.
    Lyn

You really need to change your money in UK before you leave. The rate you will get in Florida will be extremely low.

Sandra

Hi Trevor

N answer to your question about Immigration and Customs - both these are cleared in Dublin so you have no forms to fill out on the plane. You are givrn the customs form when you check in and as you pass through immigration they do the finger prints etc first and hand in the customs form. The immigration officer pulls round a screen and asks you if this is your baggage you see on the screen - each member of the is asked to identify their bag - and thats customs and immigration cleared. Arrive in Orlando, pick up bags at carousel and head to car hire or whatever. Make sure everyone knows their own bag - the officer in Dublin asked my 9 yearold if this was her bag and she answer 'I don't know' moment of panic for mum and dad - the officer then asked her quite sternly again is this your bag and then said to her say yes at the same time as we said to her to answer yes - all went well the second time

Judy

If my memory serves me well the credit card absolutely needs to be in the main driver's name, but using cards from a joint account has never been a problem for us. We would have noticed, the only CCs we have are on this account.

I agree you should change your money before leaving, or use your credit card to pay for stuff once there, changing in the US has always been the worst solution for us.

Good advise above. We have a Post Office Credit card that we only use in the States and always get a good exchange rate and if paid off in full on our return no charges.
    If you are going via Dublin then you are not clearing American customs, if you were saying going via Atlanta or similar then you would clear customs and then able to walk through in Orlando so you will have to clear in Orlando. We have found since the Esta visa has come into operation in full and you only have to now fill in the Customs form you do get through much quicker than in the past.

Val

Val

Sorry to disagree with you but I hve flown twice from Dublin since the new terminal 2 opened - once with Aer lingus direct to MCO and once via Atlanta with Delta - this one just 3 weeks ago and both times we cleared both immigration and customs in Dublin

Judy

Florida Chatterbox DisneyPrincess's Avatar
    I would suggest changing currency over here - you wont get a comparible exchange rate in USA

You will clear customs and immigration in Dublin and then just collect baggage and walk through to car hire in Orlando.

You should not need to complete any further paperwork other than the API and ESTA which you already have in hand.

Credit cards from joint accounts are no problem as long as they are in the hirers name. I would suggest that you register with whichever car hire company you are using for there fast pass service. You can do this on their website and will need your driving licence details and credit card details. You will then skip the long queues at Orlando airport and go straight to the garage or kiosks - depending on which hire company you are with. This can save you a huge amount of time. And remember, you are unlikely to need any of these expensive extras they will try to persuade you are almost compulsory. If you have hired through a reputable company at this side of the pond everything you need will be included in the car hire cost. Also be very careful about the Fast Pass they will try to sell you for the toll roads - very, very, very expensive and unneccesary.

Change your currency before travelling and take a credit card such as from the Post Office as you get virtually commercial rate on any purchases.

Have a great time!!