Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fort Lauderdale

Fort Lauderdale

Hi all,

As I have said in a previous post I have done many trips to Florida, Miami, Tampa, Sarasota, The Keys and Orlando again in Oct/Nov but I would like to go somewhere different on my next trip and I was thinking of Fort Lauderdale, has anyone had any experience of there?

Thanks

keith

Have a look on the City of Fort Lauderdale official website it will probably give you a good idea or trip advisor is always useful.

Val

Ft Lauderdale is much like some of the places you have been.

If you want some different why not head to Space Centre and then go North.

The coast road is nice, a stop off in Daytona can be interesting depending on what you like. However you should really plan to stay at least one night in St. Augustine. Lots to do and see here, Harbour cruise is good as is the evening ghost tour.

There are some articles in the Florida Guides from member who have already done this.

http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida...his_guide.aspx

Good Luck with your trip.

Regards Dave
    Dave Lewis

We love Fort Lauderdale - it is completely different from Orlando and has a great 'feel' to it. It is a great place to stay, with so much to do and wonderful beaches as a bonus. It has some brilliant malls, and lots of different attractions such as the Butterfly World. There are theatres, art galleries, museums, and even a river boat - the Jungle Queen Riverboat - if you want to explore the waterways. Bonnet House Museum and Gardens is worth a visit - its a historic plantation style house with tropical gardens.

You can get around by using the Sun Trolley for 50c - just wave and they will pick you up.

We spent a few days in Lake Worth, just north of Fort Lauderdale which is a real little 'town' with shops and restaurants. The beach is superb, too. We had a great breakfast at Lantana Beach at a restaurant right on the boardwalk overlooking the sea.

I am sure you will find lots to do in and around Fort Lauderdale. We would love to stay in Lake Worth again as it is a great centre, and the restaurants are amazing.

There is a lot to see - we drove down the A1A and passed houses the like of which you have never seen - huge mansions overlooking the intracoastal waterways, and beaches galore.
    ellie

Ft Lauderdale is one of our favourite places. We try to have a couple of nights there each time we are in Florida. As Ellie says, it has a great "feel" to it.

The water taxi is also a great way to get around and see lots of fantastic homes on the waterways. Las Olas Blvd has lots of great shops places to eat.

We tend to stay up at Pompano Beach just to the north but have also stayed in some great hotels on the seafront in Ft Lauderdale.
    Jim

Thank you for all your advice. I had checked Trip Advisor that's what wetted my appetite, but I'm glad to hear from someone who has actually stayed there.

I know I have to get my Orlando trip done first but I just love planning ahead. I just love Florida and Floridians!

Florida Expert
    Thanks for the info Ellie. We're planning on staying in Fort Lauderdale for a couple of nights in October before we pick up our cruise as we have to be out of our villa. Haven't booked a hotel yet so any recommendations would be welcome

We normally stay at the Ocean Sands Resort and Spa at Pompano Beach. Nice and quiet and right on the sand. It's our favourite in the area. We can also recommend the W Hotel right on the seafront and the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina. Have stayed in both a number of times.
    Jim

Gold 5 Star Member
    We love Fort Lauderdale too, we have stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 and although not right on the beach, they offer a free shuttle to the beach but we had a view of the waterway, beautiful yachts and ocean from our room. Wonderful service and beautiful hotel.
    Jan&Steve

We love Fort Lauderdale too. Take a drive along all the internal waterways close to the town centre, there are some amazing homes with yachts bigger than my house moored at the bottom of the 'yard'! There's a nice walkway in the town centre too that runs along the river that makes a very pleasant stroll.
    Sarah