Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Us airways?

Florida Savvy

Wink Us airways?

Hi there! Looking for some info on us airways, been searching frantically for a decent price for October and us is The best I can get at £545 but there are a few stops! Edin-Man-Charlotte-philladelphia - orlando phew!!!! Anyway we have flown with BA, virgin, and American in the past so can anyone tell me how they compare for economy? Don't mind the changes but don't want to put up with really cramped flights and bad service! I know there's no guarantees we have had a mixed bag withAA from excellent to no food left and rude cabin crew! Mainly had good service on BA apart from very old plane on last trip with broken seats! And as far as virgin go flew from manchester found staff very unhelpful and compartment very cramped! However they are all way over the top for prices and current sales don't touch our dates!!! So hoping for a lifeline here and some honest feedback before we take the plunge! Thanks Pauline
    Pauline mccluskey

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    Hi Pauline. We have flown US Airways (Manchester/Philadelphia/Orlando) a number of times now. Our next 2 trips already booked with them. (Next month, then Christmas)

I am currently looking at May next year with them. They have been considerably cheaper than any other sheduled flights I have checked. We won't go charter as they are to restrictive for us.

Flight from Manchester on an Airbus A330-300. (Virgin only just started using them) Great plane TV on demand etc, Staff have "always" been very curtious.

We find Philly airport to be a great place for a meal/stretch your legs/look at some shops, before flying down to MCO.

The aircraft used on the flight down to Orlando depends on which timed hop you use. We have been on various, Boeing/Airbus etc. Never had a problem.

That said we have just had an email telling us we will be flying down to MCO on the A330-300, "Result" We can sit as a group rather than 3+3. No chance of missing the connection now[msnsmile2]
    mike

Gold 5 Star Member
    It's a while since I've flown on US Airways and they were fine then but that routing is brutal (I don't think US fly from Manchester to Charlotte by the way). Is it the same on the way home?

The price would have to be a lot less than £545 to tempt me to do that.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 04-07-2011 at 03:38.

Florida Savvy
    Yes I think it's brutal as well but we are starting to panic and the only other flight under £600 from Scotland is with klm and it is just as bad! The us airways flight definitely is the route through Charlotte but there is also one which is just edin-man-phil-Orlando but it Gets you in an hour later ! What do you think? Would we be better with that route?? By the way the us airways flights are about £200 more leaving fom Glasgow with the same route!!!! Crazeeeeee!!!!!! Thanks Pauline
    Pauline mccluskey

Gold 5 Star Member
    Your call obviously but it comes down to whether you prefer to be in the air or waiting on the ground. More stops means more chances of flight delays but at least you're on the move rather than having a very long sit around an airport.

Not precisely on topic but this thread might be of interest:

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums...ur-Trip-Report

I'm from Scotland but moved south with work many years ago so I know how restrictive the choice of flights can be.

Not sure if you have considered this but it can sometimes work out cheaper to book a flight to London on a low cost airline then fly direct on either a scheduled service or one of the many cheap charters that you can pick up at that time of year.
    Jim

I'm not aware of a Manchester-Charlotte flight either. We have flown Manchester-Philli-Orlando twice now, both times very smooth flights but we have experienced in-flight entertainment faults. As they were cheapest I decided a few juddery films was acceptable!

I'm currently awaiting their prices to be released for early June 2012, they could get my custom again.
    Dave.

Mexico - If you can go after 24th Oct BA & Virgin both have sales on this week. You might be able to get something cheaper or more direct.

I usually fly with USAirways & think they are fine.

Gold 5 Star Member
    It's a tale of two halves from me for US Airways.

On the MAN-PHL route the planes are pretty good. I'd say better than Virgin (although I haven't flown the new Virgin planes) but not as good as American Airways. In flight service and meals are about average. Ground staff at Manchester are good. Ground staff and service in the US ... hmmmmm ... this is where it all goes horribly wrong ...

As long as everything goes to plan US Airways are fine. As soon as something goes wrong they are totally Barry White! Their customer service is non-existant and they see any problems very much as *your* problem, not theirs. For example, last year on our return flight Orlando->Philadelphia->Manchester we didn't make the connection in Philly. The flight out of Orlando was late due to thunderstorms closing the ramp. At Philadelphia the attitude of US Airways customer service was nothing short of shocking. I'm usually quite positive about most things but IMHO the sooner they go bust the better it will be for everyone concerned. From our experience, their staff really don't deserve the jobs that they have!! We were told quite bluntly that the Manchester flight had departed and that was about it really. They just leave you to your own devices to find a hotel for the night (at your cost). If you are *really* lucky they will deign to see if there are seats available on tomorrow's flight for you however even though you are effectively checking in 24 hours early they won't try to seat you all together. The icing on the cake at Philadelphia has to be that if you miss the connection home you don't get your luggage. It stays on a trolly somewhere on the airport where all the staff have gone home from and no matter how much you complain you don't get access to it.

It's a real shame, because on the Manchester-Orlando route overall they are as good as anyone else. Until something goes wrong. Then their customer service is so bad that it would be more pleasurable having a tooth out without anaesthetic.
    Steve

Florida Savvy
    Guess I've had a lucky escape!!! Thanks for The advice everyone it's always better from real people!! Anyway, hip hip hooray!!! Knave been checking all possible routes franticallyfor the last few months, problem being our dates are fixed! 8/10-22/10 which for some reason seems tobe a time that no sale prices touch and prices have been pretty scary!! So this morning on my round of websites, I always start with the more direct routes and finish with the desperates!!! Lol!!! So here's the thing I managed to get aerlingus from Edinburgh- Dublin-Orlando for £650 which is still pretty steep but now for the good bit after a lot of searching I found a discount code that actually worked for 20% off!!! Yipppee!!! That's 20% of the ticket pric before tax! So brought our pric down to £571each which considering the ridiculous quotes we have had is quite amazing!! So here is the code for anyone looking for a little bargainUSAMVC236 all upper case and it's valid until 7th July !! Remember to make sure that the code goes through to the second page when you are making your booking as we had to do two separate bookings because we were using two cards and one of the times we had to enter it twice !!! So now I get to do my countdown and look forward to all the fun bits!!! Thanks for the advice and hope some of you benefit from the code!!!!
    Pauline mccluskey