Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Thoughts on Monarch MAN-SFB (Sanford)

Any Thoughts on Monarch MAN-SFB (Sanford)

It's time for the scheduled flights to be released for next year's May school hols, so I'm starting my research.

I've discovered Monarch fly Manchester to Sanford, good flight times, and are coming up at £717 each. Currently Virgin are priced at £900 for same dates through Virgin Holidays. I am absolutely tied to Saturday departures so Thomson are out of the frame (they fly Friday to Friday)

Has anyone any experience of flying Monarch to Sanford that they could report?

Thanks,
    Dave.

Florida Expert
    I flew Monarch from Gatwick recently. Service was good meals good. We sat towards the back of the plane where there is more room. Hang luggage bit restrictive 5Kg hand luggage ( which is used up mostly by my laptop), but you can fit a lot in your pocket, and put it back in your bag once it has been weighed!

Hold baggage was charged extra at £40 per case up to 20KG. Luggage had to be booked for everyone in the party or no-one - which was a bit annoying. There were only two of us, but it could be quite expensive for a family.

On the upside we were allocated extra legroom seast free of charge on the way out - I have never had that much space on any economy ticket. On the way back the flight wasn't full so we had 3 seats between two.

We paid a bargain price as we only booked earlier that week - i won't tell you how much as you will weep.

overall I'd fly with them again definitely
    Jo

Thanks Jo, that's a positive start. 5Kg hand luggage is a bit mean though, as you say. I like the stuffed pockets idea
    Dave.

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Dads_Taxi View Post
    It's time for the scheduled flights to be released for next year's May school hols, so I'm starting my research.

I've discovered Monarch fly Manchester to Sanford, good flight times, and are coming up at £717 each. Currently Virgin are priced at £900 for same dates through Virgin Holidays. I am absolutely tied to Saturday departures so Thomson are out of the frame (they fly Friday to Friday)

Has anyone any experience of flying Monarch to Sanford that they could report?

Thanks,
    Dave, As you are tied to a Saturday would East Midlands be convenient for you as I think Thomsons fly from EM Saturday to Saturday.

I've spotted that one, as I have read good things about Thomson on the forum so I did a bit of research. Price-wise it is about £20 cheaper each, but as I can see Manchester Airport from my back garden it seems a bit daft to drive two cars (There should be 9 of us travelling) to East Midlands Airport and park them up for a fortnight!
    Thanks though for the suggestion, it is still on our possibility list.
    Dave.

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Dads_Taxi View Post
    I've spotted that one, as I have read good things about Thomson on the forum so I did a bit of research. Price-wise it is about £20 cheaper each, but as I can see Manchester Airport from my back garden it seems a bit daft to drive two cars (There should be 9 of us travelling) to East Midlands Airport and park them up for a fortnight!
    Thanks though for the suggestion, it is still on our possibility list.
    Yes, If I could see Manchester Airport from my back garden I would not drive to East Midlands. We live in West Yorkshire and Manchester and EM are about 1 hour away but I do prefer to fly out of Manchester, a much better airport in my opinion.

We of late have always flown with Virgin but next May we are giving Thomsons a go as they are coming up much cheaper than virgin.

Florida Chatterbox DisneyPrincess's Avatar
    We flew monarch to sanford from manchester in 2007 and it was fine

Florida Chatterbox DisneyPrincess's Avatar
    Forgot to mention i also prefer flying to/from sanford to orlando int because by rule of thumb its much quicker to get through customs.

We have just come back after flying Monarch Gatwick to Sanford. This was also an amazing last minute deal. Flights were on time, food very good as far as plane food goes. No seat back tvs but loaded films on to a samsung tab so no problem. We paid extra to sit together and were given extra legroom seats at the back for free. Very quick through Sanford both ways and no queue for Dollar car.

I've never flown Monarch to Florida, but did use them for Maldives a few years back. My only concern is that (in common with many smaller carriers) they don't have much (if anything) in the way of spare aircraft available in the case of problems. The aircraft we were scheduled on went technical, and we had to spend a night at an airport hotel whilst they fixed it, and we were almost 30 hours late taking off. I suspect some like BA or Virgin would have been able to lay on a replacement aircraft. Monarch were very good at putting everyone up, paying for dinner etc, but one poor couple were worried they might be late for their own wedding :-)

I guess that's one of those intangible things you get when flying on a larger carrier...
    Keith