Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arriving Miami, slow drive to Orlando

Arriving Miami, slow drive to Orlando

We are arriving At Miami International Airport a few days before our stay in a villa on the 27. At the moment we are considering staying at hotel near airport for the first night and then travelling next morning to Fort Lauderdale, next across land to Naples or Fort Myers(2nd hotel). Next evening stay at St Petersburg (3rd hotel), explore the area and then late afternoon travel to villa.

Any suggestions of things to see or do greatly appreciated.
    Jan

Whenever we land in Miami we always stay on South Beach, we love waking up with a sea view and a taking lovely stroll along the beach before the drive up to our villa.
    Karen

Florida Newbie
    We did this quite a lot. Book the Miami Airport International Hotel, it's ON SITE, chill out with a beer and something eat, get up early doors, get you car with no queues, have a slow drive down the Turnpike before the rush. Come off at Yeehaw Junction and go across country to the US27, it's a good way to see old Florida.

Florida Newbie
    Sorry, just saw you want to tour before reaching the villa. Staying on the airport is still a good option, if you're heading for the gulf coast avoid the interstate, there are much more interesting routes, Alligator alley or the old US27 are more fun, you'll pass the Seminle reservation and also the scene of Swamp Men, (Can't remember the name of the Airboat Rides), both are must sees.

Thanks Murph, I thought alligator alley would be good choice, pleased you agree. Need to see different parts and new things. Getting really excited about this new slant to our trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    Sorry, just saw you want to tour before reaching the villa. Staying on the airport is still a good option, if you're heading for the gulf coast avoid the interstate, there are much more interesting routes, Alligator alley or the old US27 are more fun, you'll pass the Seminle reservation and also the scene of Swamp Men, (Can't remember the name of the Airboat Rides), both are must sees.
    Jan

Thanks Karen, will have a look at hotels on South Beach. Is this an easy area to find for newbies to the area. We have only landed at Tampa, MCO and Sanford and have never travelled to Miami so do not know the area at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by MICKEYSDEN View Post
    Whenever we land in Miami we always stay on South Beach, we love waking up with a sea view and a taking lovely stroll along the beach before the drive up to our villa.
    Jan

Florida Chatterbox
    Miami is not the best city to drive around for a newbie (I got lost coming of the car hire compound) unless you have a sat nav. I have stayed in the on airport hotel, it's not the best but it is certainly fine and very convenient especially for picking car up the next morning.

If you plan on going over to the gulf coast my personal preference would be Napels over Fort Myers. I would take the Tamiami trail from Miami direct to Naples and you will pass right by Everglades City (well worth a detour). The tamiami trail will take you right up to St petes from Naples.

Everybody's personal preference of course but I like Marco Island and Naples area over all the others on the Gulf Coast. Will be there in July Myself only this time I am driving down from Orlando

We often fly into Miami and have a couple of nights in Ft Lauderdale before driving up to the villa. You say you wanted to stay in ft Lauderdale before going over to the gulf. If your flight isn't too late in arriving I'd drive up to Ft Lauderdale and be settled in a hotel for a couple of nights rather than having a night at the airport hotel and having to pack and move on the next day. It's a very easy drive up the I95 and you are there in under an hour. Lots of great hotels right on the beach. We often drive down to Sth. Beach for a meal and a walk and although we have stayed on Sth Beach, we prefer to stay a little distance from the action but have it within easy reach. On the Gulf we like the Naples area or if you want somewhere quiet to just relax Sanibel Island.
    Jim

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimiansville View Post
    We often fly into Miami and have a couple of nights in Ft Lauderdale before driving up to the villa. You say you wanted to stay in ft Lauderdale before going over to the gulf. If your flight isn't too late in arriving I'd drive up to Ft Lauderdale and be settled in a hotel for a couple of nights rather than having a night at the airport hotel and having to pack and move on the next day. It's a very easy drive up the I95 and you are there in under an hour. Lots of great hotels right on the beach. We often drive down to Sth. Beach for a meal and a walk and although we have stayed on Sth Beach, we prefer to stay a little distance from the action but have it within easy reach. On the Gulf we like the Naples area or if you want somewhere quiet to just relax Sanibel Island.
    I agree with that.

The Airport hotel is very convenient and I've stayed there several times but only when I'm flying out in the morning or land late at night. There really are much nicer and cheaper choices around the airport or Ft Lauderdale is an easy drive (depending upon what time you land).

Romford, UK & Highgate Park, Davenport, Florida
    Fort De Soto and Siesta Key are lovely beaches on the Gulf coast but most of them are lovely so you won't go far wrong

Sandra
    Sandra