Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visa to florida from UK, with Criminal record

Florida Newbie

Visa to florida from UK, with Criminal record

Hi

I require some advice regarding the visa scheme. I currently have a criminal record for theft, which I received 3 years ago. I am looking to travel to florida in 2012, and wondered if somebody could clarify the following about the visa scheme? I live in the UK.

- What is the process for applying for a visa, for somebody with a criminal record, looking to stay for two weeks.

- How long does it take to apply for a visa, and how long do they last for?

- What happens when I arrive in florida at the airport? Would I be treated any differently to somebody entering via the normal visa waiver scheme? Or would I walk straight through to the usual checks? I was unsure if there are further checks or interviews etc. I wish to try and avoid any embarrassment in-front of members of the family not aware of my issue.

I look forward to hearing from you

Florida Expert
    Obviously I can't answer with your specific situation of a criminal record but applying for a Visa involves completion of forms, photographs and a visit to the US Emabassy which can be very time consuming. When we applied for Visas their main concern was that we were going to return to the UK and were not intending to seek work in the US. To this end proof of our home ownership, jobs etc had to be produced and they went under fine scrutiny. Back in 2004 the cost was about £160.00. The Visa last 10 years, if your passport runs out in that time you travel with your expirered passport, with Visa, and your new passport.

For us the decision was made on the day, passports kept and sent by courier about three days later. When you get to US Immigration you queue with everyone else, generally we are asked why we have Visas, how long we are going to stay etc etc but it has never been of any benefit, or otherwise, at point of entry into US, we are photographed each visit and finger scan taken.
    Clare R

Regards, Mark

THIS MAY ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?? Just copied and pasted off the above link

Travelers with arrests/conviction(s)
    Under United States visa law people who have been arrested at anytime are not eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program(VWP); they are required to apply for visas before traveling. If the arrest resulted in a conviction, the individual may require a special restricted visa in order to travel. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to United States visa law. Therefore, even travelers with a spent conviction are not eligible to travel visa free; they must apply for B-1 or B-2 visas. If they attempt to travel under the VWP, they may be refused entry into the United States.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Just to clarify the Visa will not necessarily be for 10 years, we have heard of cases where it has been issued for only 1 year or for single visit only, as with everything it is at the discretion of the US Embassy what they issue.
    Babblin Boo

wrpac00
    According to the US Embassy website, visas are $140 or about £90.

We got ours in 2008 and it cost £72 each.

I have very limited knowledge of this, but can offer the info that when my daughter had to get a visa from the US Embassy in London, despite the website saying the appointments were available within 2 weeks, it was about a 6 week wait for an appointment. Telling the official on the phone that she was in total contradiction to their own web site did nothing to help, as I'm sure you can all imagine. Only option was to book appointment at Belfast Embassy, which has shorter waiting list. So, give yourself plenty of time to get this sorted.
    Oh, and be prepared for a big phone bill! Making the appointment runs up a bill of about 6 quid.

Best of luck, BlackCat. Let us know how you get on.
    Dave.

Florida Expert
    Kirkintilloch, Scotland and Indian Creek, Kissimmee
    We applied to Belfast for an appointment - managed to get one within 1 week, flew over from Glasgow, spent some hours(about 4!) at the Embassy and then stayed overnight in Belfast . By the time we flew home the next morning - our passports were waiting for us on the doormat! Quick service, eh? and such a nice lady we dealt with too - that was 9 years ago.
    Jean

Gold 5 Star Member
    That would be Ireland, very favoured with the US. They are also in the Florida lottery for green cards, the south that is.

Lynne

Florida Expert
    Kirkintilloch, Scotland and Indian Creek, Kissimmee
    Eh? no - Belfast is in NORTHERN Ireland! I think it's the South that gets (or used to?) the green cards
    Jean