Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Bad dollar experience

Exclamation Bad dollar experience

Thought I would relate recent experience with Dollar. Note I didn't (for once) book through Roger. I booked to hire a mid size out of Los Angeles LAX airport. No problems with everything till I walked out on the lot - no cars. There were three of us me for a midsize and others for compacts. I have never seen a lot so empty and at a major airport. The only car they offered was a "police interceptor" i.e. Crown Victoria which as the other guy said "Who wants to drive around LA in an unmarked police car! Anyway after standing around getting no help for sometime. I spotted a Dodge Nitro SUV black and thought I'll have this one but the attendant refused to let me have it so I asked her to call the Lot Manager who reluctantly let me have it. Further trouble happened two days before leaving when the air bag holder on front passenger door pillar fell off. As it was integral with seat belt I couldn't have anyone sitting there and didn't have time to get a replacement. All this on a new vehicle with 300 miles on clock. Anyway I wrote to dollar on my return and they sent a letter full of "standard lines" about vehicle cleanliness and having to take a smaller vehicle etc which clearly showed they didn't even read my letter.

So bottom line is I will return to US Car hire next year and go with Alamo.
    John
     Sent from my iMac

Although I would always recommend booking through this site, I think you must have been unlucky with your experience with Dollar. We were recently upgraded at Tampa Airport to a Ford Taurus, only 1 month old. We hired it for 5 days and never had any problems during our entire trip.

Mo
    Maureen Green

Florida Newbie
    Hi

We always use Dollar in Orlando and the past few years it has been Dollar Express, we have never had a problem, to be able to walk past all the people in queue makes the express part worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by appinlad View Post
    The only car they offered was a "police interceptor" i.e. Crown Victoria which as the other guy said "Who wants to drive around LA in an unmarked police car

Me! I've been trying to rent a Crown Vic for years in Florida and never been able to do so - we got one (actually I think it was a Grand Marquis, but they're the same car) in New York at Easter and it was great. Why? I hear you ask.

You can fit 3 people in the front on the split front bench and we were able to drive round Cape Cod with my daughter in between us upfront. She really enjoyed it. And there was room for 3 more in the back, plus a monstrous boot which swallowed all the luggage for 5 people no problem.
    Tonish