Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a little reassurance please!

Florida Newbie

Cool Just a little reassurance please!

Hi all,

I've just discovered this forum and it seems full of interesting information, could I just ask what is probably a very basic question regarding car hire.......?

My wife and I are visiting Orlando in October 2012 for the first time for quite a few years (this time without children!) and would like to book a car rental for 2 weeks.

I have put my details in and obtained a quote which we are happy with but would like some reassurance from other members regarding the insurance offered.

Years ago on our last visit when renting through a large airline we were left totally confused at the rental desk when we were very heavily 'encouraged' to take out many types of extra insurances and were made to feel that each one was essential and that we would be foolish not to take them. It was very expensive and it wasn't the best start to our 'first' once in a lifetime Florida holiday!

I see the rental through US Car Hire includes all insurances (apart from what would be covered through our normal travel insurance), is it really as easy as that, is there anything else that other members buy as 'advised' optional extras at the desk (breakdown cover, windscreen, tyres etc etc)? I like to play things safe if you hadn't already noticed!!

I would be the only driver so no need for extra driver cover, would the silver insurance option be the one for me or would others advise the gold option so no worries about petrol payments etc?

Sorry if this has been covered many times before, but any advise would be greatly appreciated from those that are regular renters!

Many thanks

Spikey

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    You can prebook the advanced recovery with the carhire, this will cover additional items like roadside recovery etc. and is cheaper to do it here than there, as they will offer it to you. basic breakdown is always covered, I think the tyres are covered in the advanced cover, but not sure. roger from the carhire will let you, you can email them direct if you want a quick answer, although he does dip into the forum a lot, not sure when he will see the message.
    CERI

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    With regards to fuel. it depends on how long you hire the car for, sometimes if you are going to less than 14 nights, it can be cheaper to prebook the fuel in with the car, anything longer than that, silver is cheaper as the tank of fuel at the desk will be cheaper. and Roger has just announced that some of the rental companies will allow you to fill the car up on your return to save the extra costs of the rental company can charge for fuel.
    CERI

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    I always use this car hire company as I know all the insurances I need are covered. It is great to be able to stand at the desk knowing that you don't need any of the extras they are trying to sell you. Being there for 2 weeks and having no more than 2 drivers the silver option is probably the more economical
    Christine

Gold 5 Star Member
    In fact Spikey, to follow-on from Christine's post, if you are on a pre-paid reservation that includes all the insurances you will probably find that the agent on the car hire desk doesn't try to sell you anything at all ... there being pretty much nothing left to sell you. They just get you sorted and on your way as quickly as possible.

I'll leave it to you to decide whether this is because they just want to do a good job, or whether it's because they immediately realise that they won't be able to sell you anything, so the quicker they get your motoring the sooner they get a shot at the next person in the line. [msnwink]
    Steve

Hi Spikey,
    If you book car rental + the advanced recovery offered on this forum, you will be covered for pretty well any eventuality !!!
    Silver or gold is at your discretion however silver would be my choice....
    Do be aware that those 'friendly' folks behind the desk at the car rental kiosks are on commission & it's in their interest to sell you as many 'upgrades' as they possibly can..... It's quite normal for them to claim the car you've selected will be too small / uncomfortable & that you REALLY need added BLAH & that your holiday will be a total disaster without ....
    You just need to be really firm & decline anything they offer, safe in the knowledge that, if you've bought from this site, you have everything you need for a great holiday.
    Enjoy !!!

Administrator
    I confirm all required insurances really are included. Optional Enhanced Roadside Assistance is available to pre-book (cheapest) or at the desk (more expensive).

As stated, with Alamo and National you can now bring the car back with a full tank of fuel on our Silver option now (if collection after 1st April 2012).

Also, Alamo Express is now available for all car types, so this means you avoid the desk (and staff) so not even a chance for anyone to try to sell you a car upgrade.

Roger,

Is Alamo Express for all car types as of now, or from 1st April like the other changes?

Just asking as I am out there next week and have booked an Economy Car.
    Graham

Administrator
    This should be available as of now

Please can someone tell me how to get Alamo Express? I've already got a Dollar express card but find Alamo are often cheaper we still book Dollar though because hubby hates to queue.
    Julie