Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Newark airport to Orlando

Florida Newbie

Newark airport to Orlando

Hello all, just looking for some advice, I am travelling over to US next Easter, flying in to Newark, picking up a hire car, then starting the drive down to the sunshine state, was looking for a few pointers from anybody with experience of similar trip.

My itinerary is Arrive Newark 1 PM, get car and start driving, overnight in Fredericksburg VA, then next day too Savannah, GA, then on too Florida next day.
    Is this realistic, was planning on using the I95.

I am tempted to try the Blue Ridge Parkway for part of the journey, but not sure how much time this would add to the drive.

Any advice att all would be really really appreciated on this, thank you in anticapation. :-)

Gold 5 Star Member
    My advice would be that you need AT LEAST another day to make that trip. You'll arrive in Newark at 1.00 pm. Assuming that it takes about 90 minutes to clear immigration and customs and get into your rental car, you'll then be starting what must be at least a 6 hour drive to Fredericksburg around 2.30 pm. Of course, your body will be thinking it's actually 7.30 pm when you start driving and you'll have been up for at least 14 hours by that point.

If you're going to include the Blue Ridge Parkway (which I recommend) think about adding 2 or 3 days to your plans for that.

Out of interest, have you checked what the 1-way rental surcharge is for that trip?

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for that, I was kind of thinking that Fredericksbug might have been a long journey, need to think about it before. Maybe head to the start of the blue ridge parkway, grab a motel then take it from there. I am actually flying back from Washington, and have found a deal where the one way trip is only $50.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Looks like you got a good deal with the 1-way there! It's a pity you aren't flying into Washington because you would be well placed for the BRP from there.

To be honest, I'd seriously consider overnighting at Newark and collecting a car to make an early start in the morning when you're refreshed.

Florida Newbie
    I will have to think about this, but may not be a bad idea to be honest. Or even pick up a car and have a drive to Washington to pick up the BRP. Have ages to plan it, but no time like the present. Thanks again :-)

We drove from NY two years ago, and we did the coast with a nice ferry trip from Cape May to Lewes, and down to Norfolk.
    The roads was good and it was a lot more to see than on I95.
    We did the trip with the first stop in Virginia Beach and the next night in Savannah, but stayed the first night in NY. We left NY about 11.am and was at the hotel in Virginnia Beach before 7.pm
    From Norfolk we drove southwest to Rocky Mt and turned on I95 down to Savannah.
    From Savannah we did a detour to Jimmy Carters homestead in Lumpkin,and visited Providence State Park which is like a mini "Grand Canyon".
    This was an extra day, so I think you can drive in three days.

Hope this was an inspiration [msnsmile]
    Bente

Florida Newbie
    Thank you Skobe, been looking this afternoon, think we will (this is likely to change a lot depending on advice) :-) drive down the i95 to get to orlando. On the return drive up to Asheville NC, then do the best part of the BRP and up to Fredericksburg, then a nice short trip to Dulles for our flight back to blighty.

It has indeed give me inspiration, is very good to know it is possible, just need to refine route and thats us. I love to drive and will lap up a nice steady saunter on US roads, her indoors loves being driven, so its a win win scenario.

Anyone else with any advice inspiration please join in, like a sponge for information here :-)

Super Moderator
    We have done similar drive and found the different car companies all have different fees for one way trips so it is worth checking with each company - sure Roger will be able to help here.

Depending on route and how many 'side trips' you want to make The Historic Triangle of Yorktown, Williamsburg and Jamestown are well worth a visit.

Florida Newbie
    Thanks Jill, will have to have a look Many Thanks

Florida Expert
    You're looking at the best part of a 1000 mile trip...

We did it a couple of years ago, but took out time - we spent a couple of nights in Atlantic City, then on to Pennsylvania for another night, 2 nights in Williamsburg and finally a night in Savannah. The following day we stopped of in St Augustine for a few hours before driving to Orlando.

We did the trip back in 2 days!

Have a safe trip whatever you decide to do..