Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Price of Petrol in Orlando.

You would think diesel would be more popular due to the country being so vast.
    We pay more for fuel in the UK, but most of us will get double the MPG than in the states due to their type of car.

Florida Expert
    Something we have always thought. Might be half the price but all the cars we have ever driven over there have appalling MPG and so probably works out the same (apart from my DH's works vehicle - mitsubishi warrior!)All petrol and all automatic

Florida Chatterbox
    There is no doubt that $4/gallon is reasonable compared to UK prices.

My point was that, when you factor in the relatively low mpg of most american cars, as well as the fact that you have to drive everywhere, it is probably not much cheaper all round.

I understand that the purchase price of a car is significantly less in the US but isn't insurance much more?

I found insurance cheaper. The last thing I personally look at is the cost of filling a tank on vacation, even when doing a road trip.
    Interestingly, I have just been working out costs for touring a band around the USA and the travel costs per mile are much less than Europe. Our bus heer does the same per gallon as the usa equilivant.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Father
    There is no doubt that $4/gallon is reasonable compared to UK prices.

My point was that, when you factor in the relatively low mpg of most american cars, as well as the fact that you have to drive everywhere, it is probably not much cheaper all round.

I understand that the purchase price of a car is significantly less in the US but isn't insurance much more?
    [/quote]

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
    I found insurance cheaper. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Father

[/quote]
    [/quote]

This is interesting. What are other people's experiences of this.

I'm not sure where I got it but I thought motor insurance in the US was much more expensive than in the UK.

Gold 5 Star Member
    It is not a simple comparison with UK Comprehensive because it largely depends on the amount of 'liability' insurance you want. Also the type(engine power) of car(within reason)is not such a huge factor as UK.

The cost of insurance for me - with a cheapish low powered car - was very very expensive; because my UK driving experience and NCB was not accepted.

This subject was raised on this forum some years ago and I tried some of the suggested companies - and it didn't help.

My brother who has lived in the USA(california) all his adult life and has a 'perfect' record - not a single accident, got a quote from his Insurance firm(State Farm) for a car in Florida(he would own it[msnwink]) and it was US$1,600 pa with decent 'liability'.

Super Moderator
    Our friends also found car insurance was much cheaper once they had Florida driving licences than insuring their car on a UK licence.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Our friends also found car insurance was much cheaper once they had Florida driving licences than insuring their car on a UK licence.[/quote]

With most of the firms I tried a Florida driving licence was mandatory.

Unless it has changed recently, a Florida Licence only last for as long as you remain in the US. So if you come in on a waiver for, say, 3 weeks, that is as long as you licence lasts - you have to re-apply next time.

I don't know what people consider expensive insurance but I pay just over £300 for a newish 2.4 litre car in UK.

My American friends all seem to pay far more than double that amount.

Florida Chatterbox
    So just wondered what the latest price is?

Most places its $2.39 although you might find it a couple of cents cheaper if you shop around. It went up 12 cents between lunchtime and dinner time one day last week.

Liz