Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: British or English?

Florida Savvy

British or English?

I was born in England, but left home 18 years ago after my A levels. I have spent the last 13 years married to an American, living mostly in Germany (now Italy) with a couple of years in between in New Jersey (all at US military bases).

A lot of people ask where I am from and I will always answer "English", but if the question is asked the other way around, it usually comes out "Are you British?" A couple of days ago, I was completely flummoxed by the follow up question "Does it bother you if someone calls you British?"

Trying to put it into perspective, I likened it to calling an American, Canadian or vice verse, but that isn't quite true. Nobody would call a Frenchman German, or an Austrian Italian even though those countries are all in the same land mass of Europe, so why do Americans have such a hard time grasping the fact that (Great!) Britain is made up of four separate countries?

Just wondering what your individual thoughts are on this? Comments please.

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    I am English and proud of it. If I am asked to write where I come from rather that tick a box I will also put English. I bet if you ask the same question of Someone from Scotland or Wales they would always go for Scottish or Welsh rather than British. Or are we all just European now?
    Christine

I would have thought the american equivalent was their states. Although, whilst I would have once said British, I will now say English as we are pushed more and more to not be proud of our identity and culture.
    Shirley

It depends on the circumstances and the question being asked whether I answer English or British. Proud to be both!![msnwink]

Sandra

I am Engish or British doesn't bother me. I am also proud to be both. [msnsmile2]
    Barbara

Romford, UK & Highgate Park, Davenport, Florida
    If asked I would probably answer British without thinking but being born in Birkenhead, really it should be English[msnwink]

Im happy to be either

Sandra
    Sandra

Super Moderator
    I am English as I was born in England and do not like being called British. British to me is the shortened form of Great Britain which covers, England, Scotland and Wales which are all individual countries. Bet there are not many Scots who like to be called British.

Florida Chatterbox
    To fellow Brits I'm English and to the rest of the world, I'm British.

I am English, very proud of it and will always put that on forms as my nationality.

It seriously annoys me that the political elite in this country feel that is OK be Scotish, Welsh, or Irish, and celebrate the fact but we cannot be English
    Graham

Florida Expert
    I am English as I was born in Enland.

What I find frustrating are forms which do not allow that. Ie I have to say British or I'm from the UK.